RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

CH/MH breedings

17K views 56 replies 28 participants last post by  wheelhorse 
#1 ·
If anyone knows of anyone who has an upcoming breeding with a CH/MH parent could you send me a pm. I know this is searching for a needle in a haystack. I don't want this to be a show field debate. This type of breeding fits both of our needs in our next lab and our personal schedules. WE are ready to find the new pup as our youngest is now 7 1/2. (BLADES'SON)

#4 ·
Yeah not sure why they moved your post to the obscure classified forum. Anyhow check out www.kerrybrooksvince.com
Best of luck

#11 ·
WOW really nice looking bitch you have there! Can you tell me the weight and height at the withers of these two dogs. I have started looking for a Lab for retrieving my ducks and running hunt tests with and although am not really ready timewise but could easily change my mind ;)

#9 ·
I get why the thread was moved to the wanted section, but I also see that you've requested PM info, and are not, in my opinion, seeking to tee-up some workaround bogus cheater for something that belongs on the classifieds. I left the one version of the thread on the wanted section, but have moved a copy back to RTF.

I'll send you a PM with my suggestion, and cc the breeder whom I think could be helpful.

#10 ·
Cresthill kennels in Virginia is "doing the dual" these days. Check our their website.

#34 ·
;) If you like Blades,
Like? I love Blades. What he overcame is amazing. When I was going to get a pup from Magic's litter it was before Blades was a MH. I knew Blades story and having owned a lab that came back from the obiss I wanted that can do spirit. Unfortunately I never got to meet him because he was running a master test when I flew out to get Magic.

#17 ·
Ellison Armfield at Armbrook Labs knows alot about Ch/MH. She's produced three, out of one bitch. She might be able to point you in the right direction.

#35 ·
I was totally bummed out but I understand when she decided to spay Pepper. I met Diggs a few times when Magic was a kid. Heck Magic actually met Diggs.

#21 ·
PM sent...If you want a CH/MH you should probably talk to Chris at www.kerrybrook.com...

#24 ·
I'd look at "Sam". My dog "Dutch" is out of Am/Can UKC CH Poplar Forrest Play It Again Sam MH UD RE WCX CDX. Julie Mach of Highvoltage Retrievers did a repeat bredding on him with her bitch Belle's Image of Tradition. Dutch went 5 for 5 in masters. And achieved both his MH and HRCH title by 2 1/2 yrs old. He did this while also being a fulltime guide dog, having over 2500 birds shot over him -- www.goosehuntinginc.com. Dutch is my first and only dog to ever run in hunt tests. He is amateur trained and handled. His brother "Jet" is also a young Master Hunter. I have been over-the-top happy with Dutch. I know Jet's owner is equally happy.

#26 ·
I'd look at "Sam". My dog "Dutch" is out of Am/Can UKC CH Poplar Forrest Play It Again Sam MH UD RE WCX CDX. Julie Mach of Highvoltage Retrievers did a repeat bredding on him with her bitch Belle's Image of Tradition. Dutch went 5 for 5 in masters. And achieved both his MH and HRCH title by 2 1/2 yrs old. He did this while also being a fulltime guide dog, having over 2500 birds shot over him -- Dutch is my first and only dog to ever run in hunt tests. He is amateur trained and handled. His brother "Jet" is also a young Master Hunter. I have been over-the-top happy with Dutch. I know Jet's owner is equally happy.
I am getting a pup out of Sam as well. They are about 4 weeks now so should have him home first week or so of February. I am looking forward to this pup and can't wait to see what he can do.

#25 ·
Wow I was reading this thread and realized that girl Belle's Image of Tradition is out of a chocolate girl I bred. Ch Rainbo Listen to your heart. One of those should have kept her pups:) The Hunts bought her from me and Shannon Stone finished her with 2 majors and a group placement. Wow small world. They intended on getting her JH but their focus changed. Have always tried to breed working retrievers that have correct structure. Thanks for the smile.

#27 ·
I own Jett, MH, one of the Sam/Belle's Tradition pups bred by Julie Mach. Awesome pedigree. 4 CH/MH dogs in the first 6 dogs on the pedigree. Only Belle's Traditon is not at least a CH although she is pointed. Jett is headed to the show ring next week and will be handled by Brian Livingston in order to achieve his CH. We will be breeding his full sister (she only has JH, due to us putting all our energy/funds into Jett) to Rio as soon as our Kaymie comes into season. She was due in December so anytime now. BYW: Belle's Image of Tradition is out of CH Belle Tradition OBroad Reach, MH and CH Rainbo Listen to Your Heart.

I also highly recommend Kerrybrook as well. We have a new girl coming out of Vince this week:)

#30 ·
I have been pondering!! D a n g e r o u s!! ha!!

Angie and cross bench/field breeders, what traits are you achieving using bench labradors in working/field dogs?

Angie, from memory and correct if I am wrong..you were once a dairy farmer. From my limited experience speaking to dairy farmers they may cross Jerseys and Friesians to obtain better quality and quantity.

After you have a bench and AKC hunt test champion.....who do you breed to .........show or field?

Are there multiple generations of SH & MH?

#33 ·
Speaking to the dairy cow question. A common reason to cross Jersey with Holstein (Friesian) is for calving ease in first calf heifers, using a Jersey bull on the Holsteins to get smaller calves. I can't say the crosses we had were all around better than the purebreds, but they did have higher butterfat in their milk than pure Holsteins.

Whether a cross of show to field lines will be better quality than straight field or straight show depends entirely on your goals, what is quality to you?

If you cross a CH/MH to a field line dog you will not normally end up with more CH/MHs, the field lines look too different, so if you are trying to get more Ch/MHs you usually stick to show lines.

Multiple generation CH/MH pedigrees exist, not sure what you are asking exactly.

#31 ·
Thanks everyone for the input and pms. We had a medical situation with FIL and MIL doesn't drive so I've been a bit tied up for the past week. Life is just starting to return to normal.

#32 ·
I have been pondering!! D a n g e r o u s!! ha!!

Angie and cross bench/field breeders, what traits are you achieving using bench labradors in working/field dogs?
A dog that is more structuarlly correct with brains, a sound temperament and good looks

Angie, from memory and correct if I am wrong..you were once a dairy farmer. From my limited experience speaking to dairy farmers they may cross Jerseys and Friesians to obtain better quality and quantity.
Yes I was,, Thank you for remembering. We didn't cross breed among the species. We stuck with strictly Holsteins. Cattle and hog genetics are far superior to what we do with horses and dogs. It's an agricultural industry. We had a company come out to "map" our herd and they would select bulls from their inventory specifically to compliment each cow. You usually had 3 options per cow. They could predict on any of their bulls the % of prepotency or repeatability their stud had in specific areas. Be it structure or milk/butter fat production.

After you have a bench and AKC hunt test champion.....who do you breed to .........show or field?
All depends... Are we talking a male CH/MH or a female CH/MH?

Are there multiple generations of SH & MH?
Within the CH/MH dog or bitch?? I'm not sure what you're asking. :D

Angie

#46 ·
A dog that is more structuarlly correct with brains, a sound temperament and good looks

Yes I was,, Thank you for remembering. We didn't cross breed among the species. We stuck with strictly Holsteins. Cattle and hog genetics are far superior to what we do with horses and dogs. It's an agricultural industry. We had a company come out to "map" our herd and they would select bulls from their inventory specifically to compliment each cow. You usually had 3 options per cow. They could predict on any of their bulls the % of prepotency or repeatability their stud had in specific areas. Be it structure or milk/butter fat production.

All depends... Are we talking a male CH/MH or a female CH/MH?

Within the CH/MH dog or bitch?? I'm not sure what you're asking. :D

Angie
Sorry typo..should have been CH/MH.

Thanks for the replies. Angie I agree with completely, wish there were EBV's in field labradors.

Genetics is fun. No? Yes? Sometimes?

When dai

#36 ·
I'd like to thank everyone for not turning this nasty about field and show. Both live in my house for those that have questioned thru pm. The yellow in my aviator is a Nitro son and the black is the Blades son.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.