RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Cheap Alternative External Speaker for Dogtra Electronics

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  copterdoc 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
I got them today, and they DO work!

It's plug and play.

I measured the RR Deluxe internal speaker's output with a Radio Shack SPL meter, and compared it to what I get with the Pyle 5" external speaker.

Here's the measurements from 4 feet away.

Internal duck = 91 Db.
Internal beep = 93 Db.

External duck = 102 Db.
External beep = 110 Db.

The thing that you need to understand about Sound Pressure Level measurements, is that it's a logarithmic scale.
Every 3 Db increase, is double the volume.

So, this external speaker isn't just a little louder.
The duck is over 10 times louder, and the beep is over 50 times louder.

The beep actually hurts my ears.

#4 ·
I just ordered a few of these. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=267-7054&utm
Way cheaper than $40.

I'll post a thread in the reviews section after I've used them a few times.

CD, I've read stuff in the past about the use of an MP3 player hooked to a device like this for use as A) An electronic calling device for conservation order snow goose calling. B) A better way than a boom box to play the Guns Up CD or other Field Trial simulation sounds for training.

Are you enough of a RadioShack type geek to suggest what components to put together to make that work?

Let's say, for example I have the MP3 player already. Can I plug this straight in, or do I need an amplifying device as well? Any ideas?

#6 ·
You could plug it right in, but you are correct that it wouldn't be very loud without a separate amplifier.

The PA horn speaker that I linked to, has a power handling range of 15 to 25 watts.
Less than 15 watts, would not produce much sound. More than 25 watts, would damage the speaker.

The biggest issue with using an mp3 player for this application, is how do you trigger the sound remotely?

#11 ·
What I can't figure out about the setup in the video, is how is the amplifier powered?

It has to have a power source. It must have a fairly high capacity Li-Ion battery.

#12 ·
I know...the kid really doesn't give much info. I actually have a Youtube account, so I may log in and see if i can post that guy a comment and maybe get some specs.

Sincere thanks for taking the time to respond on this.

I do think there's value in having a nice electronic caller type device to play the Guns Up sounds while training.

Chris

#13 ·
I bet he's using a headphone amp.

They're designed to push like 0.015 to 0.15 watts through 300 ohm headphones.
I don't think that the amp will survive an 8 ohm load very long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.