The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dogtra collar help?

Default Dogtra collar help?

Does anyone on here have a number of someone there that could actually help. I have a collar that is 2.5 years old and have had nothing but trouble with it. Someone has helped me here before with it and I thought I would try again. I sent it to dogtra and they basically want to charge me half as much as a new collar. They said I opened the transmitter and allowed water damage??? Ive never opened the transmitter much less had it in the water??

I know sportdog used to be junk but I could get a collar from them for what dogtra is wanting me to pay to get this one fixed?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

I haven't bought a Sportdog for several years, but I'd suggest you not do so. If you thing the Dogtra is trouble, wait until you have a Sportdog. Not a single Sportdog I had lasted 2 years!
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

PM Sent............

I had a sportdog for my last dog after the TT I had went down the tubes. Sure, sportdogs warranty department is awesome but I hate having to use them. After having to use them 3 times within 6 months, finally the 4th one they sent me worked and lasted for 7yrs. Would I buy another sportdog, Nooooo way.

You current collar is a dogtra 280ncp, isn't it?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Is the problem with the transmitter or with the receiver?

If you don't want to keep using the Dogtra, there is probably still some value in the collar & transmitter (especially if one of them still work) and could probably sell them as-is.

If you do want to keep using the Dogtra collar, maybe you could find a used piece that would work with your working piece (there might be some other person out there in a similar situation with a matching piece).

Lastly, I'd try to sweet talk my way in to getting Dogtra to understand your case. A couple nice n friendly notes might help.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    You current collar is a dogtra 280ncp, isn't it?

Evan
    Why yes it is. Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by TN_LAB View Post
    Is the problem with the transmitter or with the receiver?

Lastly, I'd try to sweet talk my way in to getting Dogtra to understand your case. A couple nice n friendly notes might help.
    The problem is with the transmitter. I tried to be nice as possible but they basically said I took it apart and created water damage. The transmitter had a screw missing and a screw backed have way out and they said I did it which i did not. Then they said I damaged it and thats why the screws feel out? I told them I treated it like any other tri tronics and some how they stood up to my abuse.

Check Ebay for a used transmitter. It wouldn't surprise me if they were somewhat universal and didn't need to be exact same make model to function.
    Dogtra seems to be a lil more popular with some of the obedience dog folks because it has the vibrate feature (and Caesar Milan uses em ) so you might have more luck with some of their forums.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have a Dogtra and am pleased with the collar as well as the service (bought mine used and Dogtra was kind enough to send me a replacement battery).
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.