RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Color Testing??

7K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  copterdoc 
#1 ·
I'm sure it has been posted here on the forum... I went to Vet Gen site and I was confused as to what to order. I'm looking to find out what if any colors my dog throws... yellow, chocolate. need to get breeding this boy. I would appreciate any help with which test to order, info & anything to offer on the subject.. links.

Thanks,

Barb

#2 · (Edited)
I'm sure it has been posted here on the forum... I went to Vet Gen site and I was confused as to what to order. I'm looking to find out what if any colors my dog throws... yellow, chocolate. need to get breeding this boy. I would appreciate any help with which test to order, info & anything to offer on the subject.. links.

Thanks,

Barb
From the order page, if your dog is black, and you want to test both colors (chocolate and yellow)
http://www.vetgen.com/ordertests.aspx?id=Labrador Retriever

Select Chromagene B test

#9 ·
#4 ·
Barb,

If you have a black dog and want to find out if it is able to throw yellow you should order the ChromaGene "e" test. If you want to know if he can throw chocolate you should order the ChromaGene "b" test. If you think he may throw both colors it takes both tests to find out as each tests for the specific locus for that gene.

Just in case you think he might throw silver you can check to see by ordering the ChromaGene "d" test!

Hope that helps!

Swack

#6 ·
Hah funny... thinking the same.. but can I know for sure without doing the testing? Am I wasting my time & money?

Thanks,
Barb

#10 ·
Thanks Mike. Are you knowing about Ten's Mom not being color factored via lineage?

Sorry guys, I apologize... all this lettering and testing is confusing to me.

Barb

#8 ·
Ok... so using Vet Gen. I should order:

ChromaGene - "e" test – yellow/ white-cream-red-apricot

ChromaGene - "b" test – black vs. brown/chocolate/liver

???

cuz. Frontier u only mention: Select Chromagene B test

From the order page, if your dog is black, and you want to test both colors (chocolate and yellow)

http://www.vetgen.com/ordertests.aspx?id=Labrador Retriever

Is there a combined test I am not seeing on your link?

Thanks,
Barb

#17 ·
If you color test the dog DDC is cheaper than Vetgen and faster as well. 10 day max turnaround. First test is $58 and the second(on the same sample/dog) is $20. DDC is the largest DNA testing company in the world. Same link as above:vetdnacenter.com/canine-dna-coat-color.html I have used them several times with no issues. $10 discount to $48 base fee for 5 dogs or more.

#19 ·
Thanks for the info, but too late for me. I used Vet Gen. Kit came in 2 days from Michigan. I believe the E Locus test was $55. Ten was swabbed by Vet and it was sent this past Thursday. We shall see.

Barb

#20 · (Edited)
Yeah!!.... Ten's CNM test results are back.

He is CNM Clear LR-CNM13-049-M-PIV He's already been added to the CNM Official White-List. http://www.labradorcnm.com

The certificate reads:

>> clear of the CNM mutation and
not at risk for transmitting the deleterious gene <<

~~~~~~~~~~

Awaiting color test results.

Barb

#21 ·
barb,
congrats, please post followup with coat color info too!

at my own expense i have performed locus testing for tounge color on fc ten. results are pink(PP) and very large(VL), congrats again!:p

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks John.... I Love it! You've got me rolling, too cute... I owe you one for that test. We could also just use VLPT:D

Soon as I receive the color results I'll post them.

Barb

#23 ·
Ten's color results: EE - not carrying the e gene

Now wonder why he is so smart;):p jk So Black is Beautiful:D

Barb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.