The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pup is sloppy to sit in the field.

I bought Evan's SmartFetch (Book and DVDs) I have read and watched them. I also bought Bill Hillmans DVDs on Training a Retriever Puppy and The Fetch Command. My DVD player crapped out last night so I have only watched 1/2 of a DVD.

The last Lab I trained would stop but not sit and I thought I was OK with this. Later he developed a habbit of stopping but continuing to look in the direction he thought the retrieve should be made. This is why I want this one to stop everything and look at me. By making him stop, sit and look at me I hope to have taken the focus off the previous task.

Gauge is not a push over but he is not an Alpha. The big problem is a combination of hard headed yet soft tempered. He folds easily with to much pressure. I have had him lay down with just a stern NO. I have trained several and obsevered several being trained and nothing compares to this Boykin (my first one). To say they are not like a lab is an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauge123 View Post
    I bought Evan's SmartFetch (Book and DVDs) I have read and watched them. I also bought Bill Hillman's DVDs on Training a Retriever Puppy and The Fetch Command. My DVD player crapped out last night so I have only watched 1/2 of a DVD.

The last Lab I trained would stop but not sit and I thought I was OK with this. Later he developed a habit of stopping but continuing to look in the direction he thought the retrieve should be made. This is why I want this one to stop everything and look at me. By making him stop, sit and look at me I hope to have taken the focus off the previous task.
    Experience is a good teacher, isn't it? You are correct. As trainers we should consider natural consequences. Problems don't tend to remain static. They either get better through training, or they tend to deteriorate into worse problems. That's why I'm a stickler for sound Basics. You're right to head this off right now. Fortunately it should not be a big problem.
    Gauge is not a push over but he is not an Alpha. The big problem is a combination of hard headed yet soft tempered.
    Yes, that's a hard combination. But you can do it. Have you done some handling basics; 3-handed casting and Mini-T? What handling materials are you following, or is SmartFetch your only Smartwork DVD?
    He folds easily with too much pressure. I have had him lay down with just a stern NO. I have trained several and observed several being trained and nothing compares to this Boykin (my first one). To say they are not like a lab is an understatement.
    But he's cute though, isn't he? How do you plan to move forward from here, or is that up in the air still?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

My thinking is.....I want to compare as many methods as I can afford. You can rack up one heck of a visa bill if you want to look at all of the methods. It's a shame that there is no real way to compare without buying them all. You can start a war by asking on a forum.

So, once I have seen several, I'll choose a method and proceed.

I have worked him through basic OB, as well as 3 handed casting, and mini T. We have done walking memories and circle memories as well.

Funny thing is I have seen it all start coming together in the last 2 weeks. It might be that his adolecence started early and lasted longer than a Lab. He is calmer and seems more focused (just a little). That said I am anxious to get a FF program started.

By the way Evan. I appreciate your video. It is detailed enough that even I can understand it.