The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie training?

Default Newbie training?

I would like to hear opinions on what training program (DVDs) is for a newb. I need to be working on this as well as a pup. Also might be covered in said dvds what age do basic skills need to be taught and followed (sit,heel etc) Then force fetch etc.... Thanks I am sure I will have more soon.

See something else....

Whats some gear I need to be looking for?
    Leash and 30 footer?
    training Dvds
    bumpers
    e collar

smart works here, watch 10 to 20, times read book, watch 10 to 20 more times and repeat, it doesn't hurt to watch with pup either. Also page thru all of Evan's posts he pretty much answers alot of your questions with out asking. Just rember to be nice and it's supposed to be fun when it gets tough. Its not the dogs fault its mine, that is my hardest part.

Your best bet is to find a mentor, tell us where you live and you may find some offers from potential traing partners
    For training materials get Mikde Lardy's Vol 1 of his RJ training articles. There is a link at the top of the page that you can order from. It is less than $25 and is worth 10X that & is far superior {and far cheaper} ny other resource out there IMO. It is wonderful and easy to understand for newcomers and will be all you need to teach your pup good sound basic and transition training

The three most talked about training programs on the RTF are:

Total Retriever Training 2 ed by Mike Lardy
    Smartworks by Evan Graham
    Fowl Dog by Rick S.

I use TRT by Mike Lardy. Some first time trainers find Smartworks the easiest to use. I don't know much about Fowl Dogs except it is probably the cheapest. Both TRT and Smartworks come with a booklet. And both TRT and Smartworks have a free downloadable flow chart on their websites. The flowchart is only a sequence listing and doesn't tell you how to do the various steps.

There are also two puppy training dvds that are good: Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens and Training a Retriever Puppy by Bill Hillman.

As to age, the Hillman and Mertens dvds start working with puppies at a very young age. From memory, I think Hillman starts at about 14 weeks and Mertens even younger. These are very puppy friendly training steps with no discipline. The other dvds start training at about six months when the permanent teeth are in.

You can see some of the Mertens and Hillman drills by searching Rowdy (by Pirate) where I videoed these drills and posted on the RTF.

The equipment you need really depends. Some basics: six foot rope lead, choke chain, 20-30 ft lead, at least a dozen bumpers (white and orange), ecollar, etc. There was a previous post on the same general subject where a more detailed list was posted. A search would probably find this post.

There is a lot more information available on the various training programs. At one time I listed the subject content for TRT 2 ed. I look and see if I can find it.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Fowl Dog here
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I finally found the op where I listed the subjects covered in Total Retriever Training 2 ed. It is on post #10.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ht=Lardy+video
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Your best bet is to find a mentor, tell us where you live and you may find some offers from potential traing partners
    For training materials get Mikde Lardy's Vol 1 of his RJ training articles. There is a link at the top of the page that you can order from. It is less than $25 and is worth 10X that & is far superior {and far cheaper} ny other resource out there IMO. It is wonderful and easy to understand for newcomers and will be all you need to teach your pup good sound basic and transition training
    ^^^^thread
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Anybody in North Florida area (I will travel reasonably) to help a newbie out by helping me if need be ?

Where are you located?
    Tom Dorroh