The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New Smoker

Default New Smoker

Got a new smoker for Christmas was wondering if anyone had tried making Jerky or Suasage with Ducks or Geese.

Never tried with duck, but i have made a lot of jerky out of goose breast over the years. I actually prefer the texture of the goose meat to deer or beef.

that's all my brother in law makes with duck. He won't eat it any other way. Teriaki recipes work really well. One recipe, he uses just yoshida's and grates a big chunk of fresh ginger root into it and soaks over night. Uses the same brine for a few batches. Usually, he filets the breasts into two pieces each and does not smoke them dry. Duck needs the moisture in it or you can't even chew it. It freezes pretty well for storage with the sweet brines. Go easy on the salt with duck. Typical salt brines are way too much for duck meat for some reason.

Try "Smokingmeatforums.com" Great website and loads of information on smoking. Oz
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

I grind it, use a commercial dry mix (Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc), and shoot it through a jerky gun and make round snack sticks. Smoke it in a Bradley with Hickory or Mesquite. Pretty darn good!

I've ate plenty of "homemade" recipe jerky, and never had a problem, but keep in mind, the commercial stuff does have a cure (sodium nitrite) that may just prevent a case of botulism or other food borne illness.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

I have made duck jerky,goose jerky,gosse breast,smoked lake trout and salmon and just about anything.The lake trout do in a brine also can do the duck and goose in a brine first walmart carries all kinds different wood.I do it and give it to some farmers who love it gets me training and hunting grounds.

good luck

Thanks for all the great tips

Goose jerky is excellent, the only way that I like to eat it.
    Greg Erickson

Scratchboard Dog Portraits and Wildlife Art
    www.gregoryericksonart.com

I've smoked duck eaten hot and cold (sliced), goose smoked eaten cold (sliced)... all were really good. For duck I used apple cider, salt, pepper, garlic, and crushed bay leaf brine. My advice is not to overcook it for eating hot or cold (sliced). Jerky is obviously another story, I plan on making some jerky by putting it in the smoker for flavor and finishing in the dehydrator.

I've made tons of jerky in the dehydrator and used liquid smoke, but I think the actual smoke will taste a lot better.

As has been previously stated temp is key to avoid risk of food illness.