The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wineries in Santa Ynez Valley - GDG

Default Wineries in Santa Ynez Valley - GDG After the Fact

Any recommendations of Wineries to visit in this area? Red wine please. Thanks, HPW
    Last edited by HarryWilliams; 02-04-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Tobin James - James Gang reserve cabernet

Firestone Vineyards

Fess Parker- makes an excellent Pinot Noir

and if you want to splurge go to Justin Vineyards in Paso Robles and pick up a bottle/case of Isosceles
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Tobin James is in Paso Robles, which is where my husband and I got married (we go up there a lot... often for pig and turkey hunting, but also to go wine tasting and hang out with friends). LOVE Paso Robles, though! Our favorite wineries up there include Dubost and Justin, though Justin was recently purchased by a larger company and I think they're a little overpriced for what they are. Those wineries are often referred to as the "far out wineries" because they're pretty far out of the middle of town and the other wineries which are all located right there. Beautiful drive, though. Dubost has a great syrah and a wonderful tempranillo. Mmmm...

In the Santa Ynez Valley (just north of Santa Barbara), one of our favorites is Roblar- http://roblarwines.ewinerysolutions.com/
    We, too, also enjoyed Fess Parker's Pinot.

Oh, and I heard that the Brothers Restaurant has now opened in a new facility called Sides Hardware & Shoes (after the building they took over)... supposed to be absolutely OUTSTANDING! Haven't been there since they reopened, but know several who went and had to return multiple times during the same trip since they liked the food so much. You can find it here: http://www.brothersrestaurant.com/
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Justin Isosceles is A LOT overpriced, great wine but not really worth the money if you are a value minded shopper...lots of good boutique wineries in the area whose wines never cross the state lines, due to limited production

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

lot warmer than Walla Walla this time of year huh Harry? lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    lot warmer than Walla Walla this time of year huh Harry? lol.....
    You don't need to go to WW to get good wine .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll try Roblars and maybe eat at Brothers. Going to eat at The Hitching Post one night. Sideways regards.

I've frequested Paso Robles several times but have not visited all of the 150+ wineries there, yet. 46West is best. I have some Justin in my closet (including Isoceles Reserve), like Hunt's, EOS & Tablas. But am going to be in Solvang/Buellton and thought I'd ask about there. "GG" (Grady) mentioned some a few years ago when I brought it up.

And if you like really good red wine. My favorite is Fielding Hills Winery located and bottled in East Wenatchee from their vineyards on the Waluke Slope. Don't try it unless you want to be spoiled. I just got back from Prosser and Walla Walla is next. See ya in the field/vines. HPW
    Last edited by HarryWilliams; 01-03-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Quote Originally Posted by HarryWilliams View Post
    And if you like really good red wine. My favorite is Fielding Hills Winery located and bottled in East Wenatchee from their vineyards on the Waluke Slope. Don't try it unless you want to be spoiled. HPW
    Let's keep this one a secret. OK Harry? Tribute Regards.

DP

Mmmm.... I would love to try a bottle! I hope they accept orders. Reds are my favorite!
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

if you are going to be in Solvang then you have to visit the Dutch bakeries that the town is famous for,fabulous pastries,breads and cookies to be had there