RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Wineries in Santa Ynez Valley - GDG

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Devlin 
#1 · (Edited)
Wineries in Santa Ynez Valley - GDG After the Fact

Any recommendations of Wineries to visit in this area? Red wine please. Thanks, HPW

#2 ·
Tobin James - James Gang reserve cabernet

Firestone Vineyards

Fess Parker- makes an excellent Pinot Noir

and if you want to splurge go to Justin Vineyards in Paso Robles and pick up a bottle/case of Isosceles

#3 ·
Tobin James is in Paso Robles, which is where my husband and I got married (we go up there a lot... often for pig and turkey hunting, but also to go wine tasting and hang out with friends). LOVE Paso Robles, though! Our favorite wineries up there include Dubost and Justin, though Justin was recently purchased by a larger company and I think they're a little overpriced for what they are. Those wineries are often referred to as the "far out wineries" because they're pretty far out of the middle of town and the other wineries which are all located right there. Beautiful drive, though. Dubost has a great syrah and a wonderful tempranillo. Mmmm...

In the Santa Ynez Valley (just north of Santa Barbara), one of our favorites is Roblar- http://roblarwines.ewinerysolutions.com/
We, too, also enjoyed Fess Parker's Pinot. :)

Oh, and I heard that the Brothers Restaurant has now opened in a new facility called Sides Hardware & Shoes (after the building they took over)... supposed to be absolutely OUTSTANDING! :) Haven't been there since they reopened, but know several who went and had to return multiple times during the same trip since they liked the food so much. ;) You can find it here: http://www.brothersrestaurant.com/

#4 ·
Justin Isosceles is A LOT overpriced, great wine but not really worth the money if you are a value minded shopper...lots of good boutique wineries in the area whose wines never cross the state lines, due to limited production

#5 ·
lot warmer than Walla Walla this time of year huh Harry? lol.....

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll try Roblars and maybe eat at Brothers. Going to eat at The Hitching Post one night. Sideways regards.

I've frequested Paso Robles several times but have not visited all of the 150+ wineries there, yet.;-) 46West is best. I have some Justin in my closet (including Isoceles Reserve), like Hunt's, EOS & Tablas. But am going to be in Solvang/Buellton and thought I'd ask about there. "GG" (Grady) mentioned some a few years ago when I brought it up.

And if you like really good red wine. My favorite is Fielding Hills Winery located and bottled in East Wenatchee from their vineyards on the Waluke Slope. Don't try it unless you want to be spoiled. I just got back from Prosser and Walla Walla is next. See ya in the field/vines. HPW

#10 ·
if you are going to be in Solvang then you have to visit the Dutch bakeries that the town is famous for,fabulous pastries,breads and cookies to be had there

#16 ·
I grew up in the shadows of Disneyland....spent summers in Texas...I still cheer for my LA Dodgers and the Lakers...moved away in '95, still visit every year

#13 ·
Find the Fratelli Perata winery. Off the beaten track and not at all like the big wine rooms. Family run situated on top of a hill it is old school wine tasting at its very best. Eberle was a great "secret" for a time but now the secret is out. Couple of good spots on the West side taking the 46 toward the coast.

Also a good Italian Restaurant in Paso next to the motor lodge near downtown. Unbeatable food!

#14 ·
Not for me, "I'm gonna drink my RIPPLE wine down in the lightnin' bar"

This was supposed to be in reply to duk4me's post. I missed the "quote" part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.