The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stop whistle command US Style?

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    The Brits use a little black Spaniel whistle. Here no one uses those for retriever work.

I do everyday. Acme 211 1/2. works great

OK I guess I should have said no one who runs Field Trials in America or Canada uses an Acme Spaniel whistle. Those that do would have no chance in hell of being competitive. None.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Well, this has been enlightening to say the least. The USA trial videos are sure showing off handling over objectives. The dogs are snappy and amazingly well trained. ...but then for practicality's sake it seems a bit obnoxious. So much whistle and stop... I guess I'll get flamed for even saying that but its just an initial impression. Coming from my birddog side... a great birddog makes it look easy and like they could do it with or without a handler regardless. Probably skews my views. Still the training side intrigues me... entices even...
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab, retired)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH, RN (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindogs View Post
    Well, this has been enlightening to say the least. The USA trial videos are sure showing off handling over objectives. The dogs are snappy and amazingly well trained. ...but then for practicality's sake it seems a bit obnoxious. So much whistle and stop... I guess I'll get flamed for even saying that but its just an initial impression. Coming from my birddog side... a great birddog makes it look easy and like they could do it with or without a handler regardless. Probably skews my views. Still the training side intrigues me... entices even...
    Pretty is as pretty does.

What seems obnoxious can also be absolute beauty. Watching a dog/handler team smash a challenging All Age Blind is very much like the beauty of a perfect Tee Shot on the golf course.

All of these dog games look awkward and funny to the casual observer who is used to a different game or a different breed, or a different land.

It's all good.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindogs View Post
    Get yourself over to Mr Bakers near Johnson City and see what it's all about.

Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    OK I guess I should have said no one who runs Field Trials in America or Canada uses an Acme Spaniel whistle. Those that do would have no chance in hell of being competitive. None.

I bet guys who win these field trials use them: Field Trials in North America with Spaniel Whistles

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I bet guys who win these field trials use them: Field Trials in North America with Spaniel Whistles
    Yer funny Chris!

Grazie

I highly doubt Polmais needs to be taught how to get a crisp sit and a reliable sit during stimulating circumstances. I think he has been very successful at that. Seems to me, he wants to hear how you guys go about doing it or how you would go about doing it without the use of an ecollar. This reminds me of Blimps recent thread asking a very similar question and there never was a good answer.

But I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I highly doubt Polmais needs to be taught how to get a crisp sit and a reliable sit during stimulating circumstances. I think he has been very successful at that. Seems to me, he wants to hear how you guys go about doing it or how you would go about doing it without the use of an ecollar. This reminds me of Blimps recent thread asking a very similar question and there never was a good answer.

But I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.
    I tried my best to address specifically what he asked for Jennifer. I actually read and reread his post a few times before even typing my suggestions. He seemed to sincerely ask for it and I did my best to try to answer.

Maybe Polmaise will highly doubt it as well. If that's the case, I'm not sure I have a whole lot more effort to put into this one.

I see some folks who seem to be constantly searching for that magic program or that magic process. Back when I was on the contest calling circuit, we called then the guys that were constantly searching for the "magic flute". I'm NOT referencing Polmaise here. I am saying though that for those who seem to be constantly searching, sometimes it is pretty effective to grab ahold of stuff from which some folks have already made quite a bit of hay.

Each time I've gone to EU, I've found that if they cross pollenated with a bit more of the NA FT stuff in their game, they'd likely up their game and start setting some new standards.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I tried my best to address specifically what he asked for Jennifer. I actually read and reread his post a few times before even typing my suggestions. He seemed to sincerely ask for it and I did my best to try to answer.

Maybe Polmaise will highly doubt it as well. If that's the case, I'm not sure I have a whole lot more effort to put into this one.

I see some folks who seem to be constantly searching for that magic program or that magic process. I'm NOT referencing Polmaise here. I am saying though that for those who seem to be constantly searching, sometimes it is pretty effective to grab ahold of stuff from which some folks have already made quite a bit of hay.

Each time I've gone to EU, I've found that if they cross pollenated with a bit more of the NA FT stuff in their game, they'd likely up their game and start setting some new standards.

Chris
    Wehl, I think the answer is well timed marker training. But I don't qualify to answer because I'm not a collar user and I think he was asking collar users what they would do to train a crisp sit without the use of a collar. Or maybe that was Blimp. Anyway, You can get a butt all the way to the ground, fast, crisp, facing you sit using markers and treats. Then progressing to markers and retrieves, progressing to whistle and retrieve, then whistle and cast. The lesson sticks and stands the test of time and birds and gun fire.