The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Wanting to Get Involved

Default Wanting to Get Involved

Hi Folks,

I'm new to all of this retriever training stuff and have a 9mo old Lab. I've given a good whack at training her, because I had no desire to ship my dog off to a trainer for 6 months and spend a small fortune training her (NO OFFENSE TO PROFESSIONAL TRAINERS INTENDED) I deeply respect you and hope and pray that I may be able do your job in my off time one day, when at this time she's more of a companion than a serious hunter. My question, I suppose, is Do any of you know of anything I could do to get more involved with "retriever people"? I'd love to get into dog training professionally later in my career as an off duty job (i'm a paramedic so I have plenty of off time). I had the very fortunate experience of being on Duty while they were running some field trials in the Fayetteville area and went out there in the ambulance to watch for a while, but I don't have any contacts, nor do I know of any clubs, or groups in my area that actually get together and work with dogs. I'm half tempted to try and join the Search dog network just so I can have a group of fellow dog owners to hang out with and keep my girl productive! Thanks in advance for any information

Josh Vandever

Find a retriever club in your area and hook up with them, it'll be fun and you can train with some people that might teach you something.

Hi,

I am still a newbie, but I was in the same boat you were in a few years ago. This forum is great. It is full of info, and the folks in here are great. If I were you, in my opinion, I would check out HRC. Find a club your area- http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/...lubsites.shtml. It looks like there a several clubs in Texas. Go to the HRC hunt test, and get to know those folks. They are really nice folks. You'll figure it out from there. Remember to have fun and enjoy your self.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Thanks Looking into it.

Don't be afraid to check out the breed clubs. They often have people interested in field.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Josh: I see that you are in Brenham Tx...Home of the World famous Blue Bell Ice Cream...you are also right next to the winter mecca of field trial retriever training..both pros and amateurs alike reside in Giddings,Fayetteville,Navasota and of course Bryan/College Station..you should have very little problem"getting involved" with retriever people in your neighborhood, your phone may blow up and you might have more friends that you care to have,especially if you are willing and able to work hard, throw birds, and show a certain quest for knowledge...you can always check with Dave/Ty Rorem , they will usually welcome an extra volunteer bird thrower....spending a day watching Team Rorem train/handle dogs is something many people have to pay hard earned money to do..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I did happen to meet some pretty cool people last year when I went out to the field trials being held in Fayetteville. Do you know where I could find dates that they are operating or contact info? I'm going to join the BCSHRC soon, and know a person who's involved with them. But I find the field test world fascinating and would also like to get involved there too. (Not to brag) but I also have training in canine paramedicine from Texas A&M school of veterinary sciences, and could probably bring supplies for first aid to the pups, and of course the handlers! I think I have a lot to offer, first and foremost being willingness to learn and carry on the traditions! Thanks for your advice, maybe if you're down some time we can hit up the old blue bell factory and talk dogs!

Josh there is tentatively a field trial scheduled in Fayetteville TX Feb 8-10 if nothing else go watch the Open it will be judged by two ladies, one who is a legend and one becoming one with every trial (Judy Aycock and Sylvia McClure...I will see about getting you Dave's contact info...will send it along after I get permission

https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedI....aspx?eid=5684
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"