RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Unique incident during FF yesterday...

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  shawninthesticks 
#1 ·
Yesterday afternoon my 16 y.o. son was working with his dog on walking fetch. I was observing and giving unwanted advice. This training session was taking place in our pasture where we keep three Quarter horses. During the training session one of the horses walked over and picked up one of the bumpers (by the rope) and ran off with it! The horse only ran about thirty yards before dropping the bumper. Me, my son and his dog all stood there watching in amazement!

Lonster

#2 ·
You need to take the rope off, so the horse doesn't develop a habit of carrying the bumper by the string.
And when the horse drops the bumper, be ready for it and immediately respond with applied ear pressure.

#4 ·
Do you plan to collar condition this horse?

Evan

#6 ·
Immediately after FF ;-)

Lonster

#7 ·
Didn't have time to blow the whistle, this horse is a real "fire breather"!

Lonster

#9 ·
We have a couple that will play with them, too. Hubby learned he couldn't leave his piles out even for a few hours ;)

#11 ·
ahhh... but will he seat on a duck.....?

#17 ·
Guys this is just a "meat horse". I don't plan on running her in HT or FT. I was disappointed that she picked the bumper up by the rope!

Lonstet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.