The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: URGENT: AVMA to vote 'AGAINST' using Homeopathic Therapy in treating pets, JAN. 5

Default URGENT: AVMA to vote 'AGAINST' using Homeopathic Therapy in treating pets, JAN. 5

Just read about this new resolution by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) to discourage Homeopathic treatment in pets. The resolution will be put up for a vote on Saturday, Jan. 5, TOMORROW.

The AVMA has already passed a resolution on Aug. 3, 2012, to discourage the use of Raw Diets, or the Ancestral Diet (what dogs and cats ate in the wild).

AVMA RESOLUTION: Homeopathy Has Been Identified as an Ineffective Practice and Its Use Is Discouraged

RESOLVED, that the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) affirms tható

1. Safety and efficacy of veterinary therapies should be determined by scientific investigation.
    2. When sound and widely accepted scientific evidence demonstrates a given practice as ineffective or that it poses risks greater than its possible benefits, such ineffective or unsafe philosophies and therapies should be discarded.
    3. In keeping with AVMA policy on Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine, AVMA discourages the use of therapies identified as unsafe or ineffective, and encourages the use of the therapies based upon sound, accepted principles of science and veterinary medicine.
    4. Homeopathy has been conclusively demonstrated to be ineffective.

You can read the full resolution here on the AVMA website.
    CLICK HERE

The American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association has prepared a response of their own. The AHVMA response covers 3 points:

1. The AVMA has models, but actual recommendations about veterinary practice are the responsibility of veterinary state boards. There are a number of states that include homeopathy in their state laws about the practice of veterinary medicine.
    2. There are a number of misstatements in the white paper, and we are listing them for delegates.
    3. AHVMA believes that when anyone considers a modality, they should talk to people who are considered experts in the field. Before voting, there a task force should be formed which includes experts in the field of homeopathy, to look at further evidence and make recommendations to the HOD. That way delegates to the House can make an informed decision.

You can read the full reply by CLICKING HERE.

I'm sure many of you have successfully used Raw Diets and Homeopathic treatment in treating many senior pets holistically. Many have used it to treat other diseases by boosting the immune system in pets naturally.

Contact info for the AVMA is below. Remember that the vote is tomorrow (Saturday, January 5), so if you want to weigh in, you should do it via email, phone or fax right away:

Email address: info@avma.org
    Phone number: 800-248-2862
    Fax number: 847-925-1329

Why urgent? How does it affect you or anyone else? Not like it is a law saying you can't feed raw, processed, or cat crap for that matter.
    Unwad your panties and go grind some chicken
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Oh I'm sorry.......never mind.

No seriously what's the big deal?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

FYI - vote is tomorrow in case anyone cares.

Quote Originally Posted by TBell View Post
    FYI - vote is tomorrow in case anyone cares.
    Thanks for sharing
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I will ask again. Why should anyone care? That is. Real question
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I will ask again. Why should anyone care? That is. Real question
    Ok, I'll bite:
    1. Because it would interfer with a vet's practice of medicine and their decision making.
    2. Because it potentially will take a tool out of a vet's arsenal treatments.
    3. Because this vote will give pet insurance carriers the grounds to deny even more claims.
    4. Because this vote will create a "slippery slope" that will lead to more oversight. What will be next? Ruling out chiro and acupunture?

I have used holistic medicine successfully, when more traditional treatments were not effective. There is nothing wrong with the suggestions of the AHVMA.

Thanks for the info Tammy! I just sent the email.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Ok, I'll bite:
    1. Because it would interfer with a vet's practice of medicine and their decision making.
    2. Because it potentially will take a tool out of a vet's arsenal treatments.
    3. Because this vote will give pet insurance carriers the grounds to deny even more claims.
    4. Because this vote will create a "slippery slope" that will lead to more oversight. What will be next? Ruling out chiro and acupunture?

I have used holistic medicine successfully, when more traditional treatments were not effective. There is nothing wrong with the suggestions of the AHVMA.

Thanks for the info Tammy! I just sent the email.
    Practice guidelines are just that guidelines. I vet that believes holistic works can still reccomend whatever they like. Every medical profession has reccomendations from theirrofessional society's. it does not mean they are binding, just guidelines. I follow the guidelines set forth by ours to the extent I agree with the, however, I do things everyday that are outside of those guidelines. No vet is being forced to stop recommending anything. This is simply a veterinary practice committee saying that therapies and treatments should be scientifically validated.
    This is making an issue out of nothing.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 01-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    Corey Burke

badbullgator,

I can't speak for Tammy but I think the AVMA's decision could potentially have far-reaching consequences. If this vote passes it may carry weight with some state veterinary boards. Those boards may restrict the licensing of homeopathic vets and/or retrict certain pratices. That would limit dog owner's choices as to what treatment options they could choose to use for their animals. Therefore, this vote has the potential to limit our freedoms as dog owning individuals.

Taken to an extreme (as many things are tending to these days) an activist bureaucrat might decide that if you feed your dog an ancestral diet (for example) you are not providing your dog with appropriate care according to AVMA guidlines. This could be interpreted as a form of animal abuse and you could have your dog taken away from you for his own safety. While this may sound extreme, ask yourself how many things have happened in the past few years that you would have thought impossible five years ago? (One example, the Fed's fire the CEO of GM and put their own guy in his place!?!)

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that "the issue" is the issue on the table. Look beyond the stated issue to see what the real issue may be. For example, why would they object to feeding a dog an "Ancestral Diet"? It would be a great diet for a canine wouldn't it? Yeah it would, except for the fact that animals must die for you to feed your dog in that manner. Don't doubt that there are a slew of animal rights types in the AVMA.

I have come to the conclusion that organizations like the AVMA aren't just about promoting the best health care for your animal. They are about protecting their turf. If there is competition for a piece of their action they will do their best to squash it before they lose their power and control. That doesn't promote good vet care. It doesn't protect our freedom. It helps line their pockets!

We need to look beyond the short-sighted thinking of "That doesn't affect me" and see the big picture. Any organization that would make the over-reaching statement that "Homeopathy has been conclusively demonstrated to be ineffective" isn't interested in finding the truth. In fact, they may be trying to supress it.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer