The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: URGENT: AVMA to vote 'AGAINST' using Homeopathic Therapy in treating pets, JAN. 5

The only people who really care is the pet industry because, just like the FDA, it effects their bottom line... profit.

The FDA is made up of people that are doctors, pharmacists, food industry people and such and is very political. They have a war going on with the natural food/supplement/vitamin industry because those industries affect their profit. They don't want people taking those supplements and becoming healthy because then they don't buy their drugs or go to the doctor as often. Why do you think that the statement on the vitamins and natural food supplements says, "This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease." The FDA requires that statement on all natural supplements and vitamins because it cuts into the profits of drug companies, doctors and food industry companies. According to the FDA, nothing can cure or treat any disease unless it is a drug, i.e.- their drugs.

I believe that you have to look past the initial subject here and try to see the reasons for this "urgency". Obviously, it is having an impact on the profit margin. If they allowed this to go on it would effect profits in all sorts of pet related industries such as the dog food industry and veterinary industry. JMHO.

Sorry, all you veterinarians out there. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes in particular, but this is just my opinion. Flame away!

BHB
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

Thanks, Susan and Jeff!

It's kind of like gun control.....well who cares if they outlaw AR15's. I don't use them anyway.

It does in fact sway the state veterinary boards when a resolution passes. It must give weight to their decisions.

Not only will it affect veterinary boards, but our veterinary colleges who research diseases which affect our dogs. Now, with this resolution that declares homeopathy ineffective, our veterinary colleges cannot even consider raw diet or homeopathy as a treatment for diseases.

For the typical veterinary practice it can determine whether your vet can recommend alcohol and vinegar for swimmer's ear or must they now recommend a prescription drug?

Email sent also with all of your points added!

Do you people actually know what "homeopathy" is? It is NOT holistic medicine, or about natural remedies.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by TBell View Post
    Thanks, Susan and Jeff!

It's kind of like gun control.....well who cares if they outlaw AR15's. I don't use them anyway.

It does in fact sway the state veterinary boards when a resolution passes. It must give weight to their decisions.

Not only will it affect veterinary boards, but our veterinary colleges who research diseases which affect our dogs. Now, with this resolution that declares homeopathy ineffective, our veterinary colleges cannot even consider raw diet or homeopathy as a treatment for diseases.

For the typical veterinary practice it can determine whether your vet can recommend alcohol and vinegar for swimmer's ear or must they now recommend a prescription drug?

Email sent also with all of your points added!

Nonsense. Changes nothing.

Sky falling regards
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Do you people actually know what "homeopathy" is? It is NOT holistic medicine, or about natural remedies.
    Exactly. Why would a profession founded in science reccomend something that is totally disproven and potentially harmful.
    Susan do you reccomend someone hire a convicted felon in prison for selling drugs act as an attorney for someone facing drug charges?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    AHVMA states,
    Veterinary homeopathy falls under the AVMA's definition of Complimentary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine CAVM.

Quote Originally Posted by BHB View Post
    The only people who really care is the pet industry because, just like the FDA, it effects their bottom line... profit.

The FDA is made up of people that are doctors, pharmacists, food industry people and such and is very political. They have a war going on with the natural food/supplement/vitamin industry because those industries affect their profit. They don't want people taking those supplements and becoming healthy because then they don't buy their drugs or go to the doctor as often. Why do you think that the statement on the vitamins and natural food supplements says, "This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease." The FDA requires that statement on all natural supplements and vitamins because it cuts into the profits of drug companies, doctors and food industry companies. According to the FDA, nothing can cure or treat any disease unless it is a drug, i.e.- their drugs.

I believe that you have to look past the initial subject here and try to see the reasons for this "urgency". Obviously, it is having an impact on the profit margin. If they allowed this to go on it would effect profits in all sorts of pet related industries such as the dog food industry and veterinary industry. JMHO.

Sorry, all you veterinarians out there. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes in particular, but this is just my opinion. Flame away!

BHB
    while I agree the FDA is political you are way wrong that it is about protecting profit. Everyone would make far more money without the FDA. Drug companies and doctors are not concerned about supplements because if they were worth while Merck and others have more than enough money to take over any supplement company out there.
    Nobody likes the FDA except the FDA. The intent is good but their practice leaves much to be desired.

BTW- I have more than a bit of knowledge about that topic.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by TBell View Post
    AHVMA states,
    Homeopathy i/ˌhoʊmiˈɒpəθi/ (also spelled homoeopathy or homœopathy; from the Greek hómoios- ὅμοιος- "like-" + páthos πάθος "suffering") is a system of alternative medicine originated in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, based on his doctrine of similia similibus curentur ("like cures like"), according to which a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people. Scientific research has found homeopathic remedies ineffective and their postulated mechanisms of action implausible. Within the medical community homeopathy is considered to be quackery.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Homeopathy i/ˌhoʊmiˈɒpəθi/ (also spelled homoeopathy or homœopathy; from the Greek hómoios- ὅμοιος- "like-" + páthos πάθος "suffering") is a system of alternative medicine originated in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, based on his doctrine of similia similibus curentur ("like cures like"), according to which a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people. Scientific research has found homeopathic remedies ineffective and their postulated mechanisms of action implausible. Within the medical community homeopathy is considered to be quackery.
    bbgator,

I have known many people who swear by the theory "like cures like" after a night of excess. I think they referred to it as "Hair of the Dog"!

However, I will admit that I didn't understand what "Homeopathy" was when I wrote my first post on this thread. Thanks to you and mitty I have done a little research and am now better informed.

However, the light of this new knowledge doesn't change the message of my post. I do think much of the "conventional wisdom" we are fed by the media on behalf of special interest groups including Big Pharma and Big Agri and others too numerous to name can be mis-leading and/or incorrect. We need to be vigilant and protect our rights to make our own informed decisions.

Thanks for helping to inform us!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Clinical management of babesiosis in dogs with homeopathic Crotalus horridus 200C.

Chaudhuri S, Varshney JP.
    Source

Clinical Diagnosis laboratory, Referral Veterinary Polyclinic, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar 243122 UP, India. drshubhamitra@gmail.com

Abstract

Homeopathic Crotalus horridus 200C was evaluated in 13 clinical cases of babesiosis in dogs, compared with another 20 clinical cases treated with diminazine. Babesiosis is an important tropical tick-borne haemoprotozoan disease in dogs clinically manifested by anorexia, dehydration, temperature, dullness/depression, diarrhoea/constipation, pale mucosa, hepatomegaly, vomiting/nausea, splenomegaly, distended abdomen/ascites, yellow coloured urine, emaciation/weight loss, and occular discharge. The diagnosis of babesiosis was based on cytological evidence of Babesia gibsoni in freshly prepared blood smears. The dogs were treated with oral C. horridus 200C, 4 pills four times daily for 14 days (n=13) or diminazine aceturate 5 mg/kg single intramuscularly dose (n=20). All the dogs were administered 5% Dextrose normal saline at 60 ml/kg intravenously for 4 days. Initial clinical scores were similar in both groups and showed similar progressive improvement with the two treatments over 14 days. Parasitaemia also improved in both groups, but haematological values showed no change. No untoward reactions were observed. It appears that C. horridus is as effective in causing clinical recovery in moderate cases of canine babesiosis caused by Babesia gibsoni as the standard drug diminazine. Large scale randomized trials are indicated for more conclusive results.

As the AHVMA states in its response to the AVMA, "The Case against Homeopathy contains many unsubstantiated allegations..........then as practitioners of conventional medication, we would find ourselves working with a significantly limited selection of therapeutic options."