The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Dog Food for Labs

Default Best Dog Food for Labs

Hello,

I'm new to RTF and a new full breed lab owner. My dog is currently 6 weeks old and I am feed him Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 (all life stages). Does anyone have experience with this food or recommends anything else? Also, are supplements a necessity? I want my pup to reach his fullest potential and size. TIA

Pro Plan Performance is a good food used by many pros and trialers, I have used Pro Plan for 30 years on my Labs, never a problem.....so if your Lab is fine on it, stay with it.

I always like to feed a Large Breed Puppy food for 6 months or so before switching to an adult food.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J Cosentino View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to RTF and a new full breed lab owner. My dog is currently 6 weeks old and I am feed him Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 (all life stages). Does anyone have experience with this food or recommends anything else? Also, are supplements a necessity? I want my pup to reach his fullest potential and size. TIA
    My puppies go home with Dr. Tim's Kinesis 26/16. I usually recommend Tim's Pursuit 30/20 at maturity. It can be bought on-line in 44lb plain white bags from Petflow for what Pro Plan costs. If for some reason a puppy buyer can't feed Dr. Tim's, I will normally recommend Annamaet next (a tie with Dr. Tim's) then Precise and then as a convenience choice Eukanuba. Pro Plan used to be a go to food but when Nestle bought them they ramped up the corn and I won't pay top dollar for 5 types of corn.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 01-05-2013 at 12:49 PM.

We feed Kirkland's Premium Dog Food for all of our labs, puppy & adult. Kirklands is made by Costco and is rated higher than Pro Plan on dog food advisor. We have performance and show dogs and they all do great on it.

J Cosentino,
    First of all.... There is NO BEST FOOD. A lot depends on what is available to you and what you are willing to spend. Personally for me it's all about the ingredients not the name brand.
    It would be this retired breeder/trainer's opinion NOT to feed "rocket fuel" 30/20 formula to a young pup especially a male in order to help prevent any bone growth issues like Pano. Shouldn't be a problem for a few months but I would change food at 4 months old. I prefer to feed Lab pups Canidae All Life Stage 24/14 with ME/Kcal of 468 using 4 meat proteins.
    Plenty of protein/fat and calories for a growing pup well into adulthood and though the major growth period. Love those 44#bags too. http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html
    I much perfer the ingredients in all of Canidae's products. When the dog is over 2 yrs old and if it needs performance feed for energy or added weight then I would use Canidae All Life Stage Grain Free formula 34/18. ME/kcal of 498.
    I am a firm believer in using PROZYME digestive aid with each meal. http://www.prozymeproducts.com/
    That would be my feeding guideline.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Take a look at Inukshuk. Came to me recommended by a vet and pro trainer down in NC. Says it's hands down the best he's fed. No frills. No high budget advertising. Just what a working dog needs. I just started using it, but pup seems to like it so that's start.

http://inukshukusa.com
    SHR HD's Rudolph the Red JH

Go Get 'Em Hayduke
    Rest in peace, pup.

www.hdsretrievers.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Detwiler View Post
    Take a look at Inukshuk. Came to me recommended by a vet and pro trainer down in NC. Says it's hands down the best he's fed. No frills. No high budget advertising. Just what a working dog needs. I just started using it, but pup seems to like it so that's start.

http://inukshukusa.com
    That is a good food but its hard to get because it is sold direct on skids of 65 bags. If you can get in on a skid it is a great deal at about $1lb.

Buying single bags from the company for over $2.25lb is not a good deal.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 01-30-2013 at 04:58 AM.

What are thoughts on nutro max and natural choice lamb and rice?

I feed Fromm gold large breed puppy. First ingriedients are duck chicken lamb and whole eggs