The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Dog Food for Labs

i have recently started feeding a puppy food called The Pride. and i am seeing amazing results. hard stools, and very shiny coats. look into it i highly recommend it after feeding science diet, and pretty much any of the very high brand names, and its at a very affordable price..
    You must always push the limits, because if you never fail you will never succeed.

I am also a new lab owner looking for a quality food without breaking the bank!

I've been feeding dr tims after PPP and am very happy with the switch. Much better coat and smaller stools. Ships right to your house, no tax and free shipping. Tough to beat for the price.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Green View Post
    I've been feeding dr tims after PPP and am very happy with the switch. Much better coat and smaller stools. Ships right to your house, no tax and free shipping. Tough to beat for the price.
    Are you getting the 44lb bags of Pursuit from Petflow?

I get DR Tim's Pursuit from Pet Flow, switched a little over a year ago from PPP, my dogs are doing great on it. I would not feed anything else!

Spin, no I am feeding the kinesis for my 5 month old in the 44 lb bags. I do have a bag of pursuit which I plan to use when we are getting more active/hunting season. I also wanted to keep her grown down. I couldn't be happier and don't see any reason to change. A new 44lb bag comes Friday!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Green View Post
    Spin, no I am feeding the kinesis for my 5 month old in the 44 lb bags. I do have a bag of pursuit which I plan to use when we are getting more active/hunting season. I also wanted to keep her grown down. I couldn't be happier and don't see any reason to change. A new 44lb bag comes Friday!
    Good choice.

We've been feeding our 13 month old YML a dry dog food called Orijen made by a small company out of Alberta, Canada. Previous to our current lab we had always fed a "premium" (but more common) dry dog food to our other labs with no noticeable improvement in their coat, performance or overall vitality. In contrast, since putting this, our third hunting lab on Orijen we have noticed what I feel is a very noticeable improvement, overall. For instance, most everyone who pets our dog will make some remark about how soft his coat feels. I agree totally. There is a noticeable improvement in the texture of our dog’s coat. We have also noticed what appears to be an overall improvement in our dog’s endurance in training sessions and overall well-being (mood, energy level, sleep pattern, airing habits). As an aside, one of the first things we noticed since we began feeding Orijen is significantly less stool volume when our dog airs.

Orijen markets its dog food line on the platform that it is more “biologically appropriate” (containing higher protein, higher fat and significantly less carbs) than the more ubiquitous "premium" dog foods commonly available at giant pet food chains. To this end Orijen has received a 5-star rating by DogFoodAdvisor.com and is “enthusiastically recommended” by that advisor.

Every couple of months we've been switching our lab between Orijen's "Adult Formula", "Six Fish Formula" and its "Regional Red Formula". All iof which are equally high in protein and fat and very low in carbs. Switching between the formulas causes no stomach upset and we usually make the transition over the course of a week or less.
    Last edited by 36bound; 07-05-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Ur dog is too young to be on Purina pro sport...wait till he is about six months. I have a year old that is on Purina Sport and have a nine week old lab that is on Purina Focus. The focus is high in protein and fat and has the right amount of nutrients for puppies!

Your dog is not too young to be on sport. Recommendations for puppies, active dogs, pregnant bitches and lactating bitches are for a 30/20 or greater. I feed PPP sport to all the dogs in my kennel from the time that they are weaned until the time that they die. Only two dogs that I have ever fed that food to have had problems. One had a metabolic disorder and couldn't metabolize protein very well and the other had ear infections which was found out to be a chicken allergy and was resolved by switching to PPP lamb and rice. Sport has more EPA and DHA than focus which are needed for puppy brain development and also people fail to realize that the fat content is where most of the nutrients come from not to mention the fact that fat is what coats synapses in the brain. I would highly recommend that you do not switch from a high fat food during your dogs development. You would be better off sacrificing protein than fat. JMO based on a lot of research by a lot of people much smarter than me on the subject.