The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best Dog Food for Labs

Anyone using or have used Exclusive Puppy formula? I am currently feeding the adult formula to my older lab, but I'm getting a new pup and would like to use the puppy formula if it's any good.

I'm not familiar with the Exclusive puppy formula, but have heard Petsmart large breed puppy (Authority)
    food is good. I'm getting a pup in 30 days myself and want to use a good food.
    Petsmarts tend to be around larger cities , I priced 18 lb at $19.99 a bag today but have not priced any more brands.
    Anyone tried the Authority?

I have used exclusive in the past. Now they have a performance variety. My labs loved the lamb and rice. I am getting a new pup at the end of the month and I am enjoying this thread cause I'm not sure which brand I'm going to with. Thanks for all the replies and reviews. I'm leaning towards Dr Tims or exclusive. I priced exclusive at my local feed store today and it runs between $34 and $37 for a 35# bag. hope this helps

this is a very good thread. The dog feeding has been a disaster for me. Pup is 5 months now. Breeder had been feeding proplan 30/20 active sport dog. dog loved it , couldnt eat enough of it. Petco told me I should get blue buffalo grain free. Transitioned it slowly. Dog had loose stools kept feeding and did not change. went back to store and was told the blue buffallo puppy food must be too high in protein. Gave me another blue buffalo that is wilderness large breed puppy. dog hates it. might eat 2 cups a day if lucky. he sniffs it amd walks away. Im debating going either back to proplan , (although i heard bad reviews since getting ingredients from china now) , or Fromms, or Dr Timms are what im leaning toward. Frustrating i feel bad for the dog. Hes 5 month lab.

Quote Originally Posted by droptine View Post
    this is a very good thread. The dog feeding has been a disaster for me. Pup is 5 months now. Breeder had been feeding proplan 30/20 active sport dog. dog loved it , couldnt eat enough of it. Petco told me I should get blue buffalo grain free. Transitioned it slowly. Dog had loose stools kept feeding and did not change. went back to store and was told the blue buffallo puppy food must be too high in protein. Gave me another blue buffalo that is wilderness large breed puppy. dog hates it. might eat 2 cups a day if lucky. he sniffs it amd walks away. Im debating going either back to proplan , (although i heard bad reviews since getting ingredients from china now) , or Fromms, or Dr Timms are what im leaning toward. Frustrating i feel bad for the dog. Hes 5 month lab.
    Believe I'd pay more attention to the pup in front of me than the netspurts.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
    Look at Victor Dog food. Good quaqlity at reasonable price
    A pro friend of mine feeds that. He likes it but I didn't like my dog's coat while she was on it.

Quote Originally Posted by J Cosentino View Post
    A lot of these foods that are recommended in this thread have higher fiber than what I am currently feeding my dog. I really don't want more piles of poop, but I realize that Pro Plan isn't the best food that I can be feeding him. Any experiences with Blue Buffalo Wilderness?
    I have fed PPP and BB and like them both a lot. I didn't notice a difference in coat, crap, or perforormance between the two, and ultimately stuck with PPP for the better price. I felt "better" feeding BB though.

Some have mentioned Fromm Pet foods... it is family owned as also they own two manufacturing Plants with recent upgrades in equipment. They just upgraded their web site and have two videos about their operation. And about who they are... and how long the family has run the business..... and now the owners two sons are becoming the next generation to make the "Best" pet food in America...

http://frommfamily.com/about/videos/
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

For Fromm users, which kibble are you feeding?

My dog has some health issues right now, and Lamb is his best protein choice, so the Lamb and lentil. Most Fromm feeders are able to use the less expensive Gold Line with good results.

Fromm also co-packs a food called Red Paw that is high Octane food for sled racing like Dr. Tim's.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.