The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you put name plates on your rig?

Best way to make sure nobody steals your dog out of its box is to have Chessies in those boxes.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

We considered not putting names on our dog boxes for fear a thief would know the dogs name. But then decided we were being absurd. How much does someone who is going to bust a lock to get a dog out care if he knows the dogs name?? We put the names on to make it easier for our friends at trials/tests to know what's up. We figured we would see more friends at trials/tests than thieves who only bust locks to get dogs out of kennels if they know the dogs name first.

We decided against titles though, that demonstrated value to potential thieves.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

When I used to run client dogs at hunt tests, on my dog trailer, I would use colored electric tape with black magic marker to make temporary name tags so if I had someone helping me get dogs to and from the line, they would know which box each dog was to be in. Each hole was kept locked if a dog was in there. Now that I have my clients transport and run their own dogs, I don't have any names on the crates in my truck for my personal dogs..
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    We considered not putting names on our dog boxes for fear a thief would know the dogs name. But then decided we were being absurd. How much does someone who is going to bust a lock to get a dog out care if he knows the dogs name?? We put the names on to make it easier for our friends at trials/tests to know what's up. We figured we would see more friends at trials/tests than thieves who only bust locks to get dogs out of kennels if they know the dogs name first.

We decided against titles though, that demonstrated value to potential thieves.
    Just going off the top of my head it seems most pro trucks in field trials do have dog names on the kennel door. They also lock the doors when on the road. Though as you say, why would a thief care if he knew the name of the dog? I can't imagine a thief thinking, I can't steal this dog, what would I call him if I did.

These days with all sorts of mobile technology it seems to me you could rig dog truck kennel doors with proximity sensors like on your windows for home alarm systems. Then maybe there's a smart phone app that will send an alarm to you phone if a door sensor is tripped.
    One of you techie guys could probably whip something up.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I'm far from a tech guy but ,about a year ago I had an idea to use those sensors like you mention on home windows,or the garage door style electric eye's and when the beam was interrupted it would alarm , but wire it inline with the trucks alarm system with honking horn and vehicle lights flashing. I would think that an audio installation garage could do it as an add on feature.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Best way to make sure nobody steals your dog out of its box is to have Chessies in those boxes.
    I like how you think Sharon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    No. No names on collars either. I have "Needs Medication" and my phone numbers on their collars. I'm not giving my dogs names out to people who have no business knowing them. My truck and crates are about to become a mobile Fort Knox, more padlocks, crates are now affixed to the truck. I'm not going to make it easy for someone to take my dogs. Sometimes being paranoid is a good thing.
    I have needs daily meds on mine as well, along with my name and several phone numbers. My hope is that if someone wants one of my dogs bad enough to steal them (and there would be hell to pay) if they see "needs daily meds" they might change their mind.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

I have a four hole trailer and have posted the following notice on both sides directly over the doors

Notice
    TAMPERING WITH THESE ANIMALS IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE UNDER THE ANIMAL ENTERPRISE PROTECTION ACT OF 1992. PENALTIES MAY INCLUDE FINES, DAMAGE RESTITUTION, AND PRISON SENTENCES.
    ORDINANCE No. 18 USC SECTION 43 PUBLIC LAW 102 346

WE WILL PROSECUTE YOU!!!

Unfortunately given the world we live in I won't put names over the doors.

Ok, so question, as I was thinking. I have a golden who will raise holy hell if you come near my vehicle. I have an FJ with 2 or 3 crates, if I need him to be quiet I cover it, but he is GREAT to have along when I travel. Or pet sit at night. So, where is the balance? I know pros who keep collars on the dogs that bark, I understand that, but barking is useful-
    And I do not put names on most of my collars. I have one for at home with name etc, the other for road trips with my number, his other breeder's number and my vet. My vet would know to take him in, and they are microchipped. I have emergency papers in my glove compartment with all the info.
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.