The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microchip or not?

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Ya butt.......that doesn't do anything for someone who "finds" one of your dogs. Those numbers mean nothing to anyone but you.WRL
    No, it doesn't do anything if dog is lost and found. However, and this is just my opinion and what "I" would do if I found a dog with tattoos; I would believe that the dog 1)is most likely of a higher value, either monetarily or sentimental due to the extra form of I.D. 2) I would mention said tattoo in all correspondence (flyers, ads, etc) in trying to reunite dog with owner. Not the actual number, just that the dog is I.D'd via tattoo. 3) I would be more likely to believe and look for a microchip in said dog since the owner or breeder took the time to I.D. the dog in another form.

When searching for a lost dog, it is SO much easier to tell area vet's, shelters, and add to posters, flyers, ads, etc. that the dog is tattooed. Helps to differentiate from the thousand other black labs in the pound!!! I was just at my vets office this morning when a lady brought in a mutt found running down the road. The shelters wouldn't take her (in heat and a brindle color so I am sure they thought "pit" mix) so the lady brought her in for vaccinations and to check for microchip, as well as to place a chip. I helped scan the dog to see if one was present and then we used same scanner on the chip that the lady brought in to use. The scanner did not show chip present in the dog, AND it couldn't read the Home Again chip that the lady brought- this is the same type of scanner that most of the shelters and vets use. Vet wasn't sure why the scanner wasn't reading the chip in the syringe (it worked on chips that the vet sold because we tested it) until I told her that some chips that Home Again and some other big name brands cannot be read on "normal" scanners due to the number of digits used. This chip was a 15 digit number!!! Most scanners only read 9-10 characters (numbers and letters).

So the moral of the story is: I believe in a backup!!!! One visible and permanent, one detectable and reliable (for the most part)and easily read by vets and shelters. Since my dogs go "naked" at home and when not on lead, tags and collars won't work for me and they are too easily removed and could get a dog hung up on something. When wearing a collar, the collar does have phone info for me and vet as well as the word "microchipped" on it. I will probably be adding "needs meds,special diet" as well
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

We did both, tattoos in ears and microchip between the shoulder blades. Chips are about $10.00 and that is cheap enough if it saves a dog.
    A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

Definitely microchip. Collars can fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    If you are going to "brand" or tattoo them, where are you going to put it and what are you going to put?

When we had Shepherds, we tattoo'd in the ear, but nowadays, there are stories of people removing ears with id in them when they steal them.

My first labs were tattoo'd with my phone number across their flank but that was way way before microchips.

WRL
    One of my favorite training buddies was an old school vet from Butte MT, he recommended tatooing as a means to ID a lost or stolen dog, this was back in the early 90s, so I took Cody, the dog in my avatar, in to his clinic. I remember him recommending my phone number so some farmer or anybody finding my dog would call me. I was expecting a small tatoo on his ear, what I got was a billboard size tatoo across his whole belly! Cody loved to lay on his back and have his belly scratched, so nobody was going to miss that. Cheryl and laugh about Cody's tatoo to this day.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    One of my favorite training buddies was an old school vet from Butte MT, he recommended tatooing as a means to ID a lost or stolen dog, this was back in the early 90s, so I took Cody, the dog in my avatar, in to his clinic. I remember him recommending my phone number so some farmer or anybody finding my dog would call me. I was expecting a small tatoo on his ear, what I got was a billboard size tatoo across his whole belly! Cody loved to lay on his back and have his belly scratched, so nobody was going to miss that. Cheryl and laugh about Cody's tatoo to this day.

John
    Good thing he didn't charge by the amount of ink he used!
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Good thing he didn't charge by the amount of ink he used!
    Absolutely! It was a real work of art and must have taken him all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Absolutely microchip.

I view it like putting my name on my on my luggage that I carry on the airport, or my laptop that I put through the metal detector.

I can see no reason to avoid microchipping....none.

Chris
    +1 The best money spent, to protect your dog.

Can older dogs be chipped and can you do it yourself or should you go to the Vet? I have given my own shots before but seems like a chip would be big?

Earlene

Dogs can be chipped at any age. While you can buy a chip and do it yourself, if you haven't done it before, I'd have a vet do it.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

YES no brainer
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH