The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TY 7mths, FTP, Simple double and a frozen mallard

Default TY 7mths, FTP, Simple double and a frozen mallard

Been a while since i posted anything on my new addition. Ty will be 7mths on the 11th and we have been working daily. We have been finding places to train through the cold and snow. He is coming along very well in my eyes. We work very thoroughly through each step in training. We used Hillman's pup dvd then moved on to Fowl Dawgs.
    This is my first pup that i am training following a system and steps so please provide feedback on what you see, and maybe a way to rectify any problems you see with him or I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-nbuUAfMJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR_XcQ-1wo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrJu4pgLhU

What camera are you using that gives you that vertical (portrait) orientation?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Iphone for all vids, hense some of the bouncing

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post
    Iphone for all vids, hense some of the bouncing
    Thanks for the info. I would like to suggest that due to the aspect ratio of computer screens, you should always do your videos (that you wish to post) in horizontal (landscape) orientation. It makes for much better use of the area of the screen.

Cool stuff by the way. I'm not sure my 34 month old would ignore the other dog running around like that.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Thats my Brittany, or my wifes... She is a great distraction. He holds pretty steady with her around and remains true to task... Usually...

Looks like Ty is doing good. Mine would not ignore the other dog, I'm sure. Why did you nick him at your side with the first back and then later on but I forget the number of the cast?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Wayne,
    I just re watched the vid and im not sure about a nick later on. I have been having alot of issues with my collar lately, I think the Canadian cold may have pooched the battery. It seems as though my burns are becoming very inconsistant. I get occasional head shakes, or a occasional yelp but there seems to be several strides in between. I have to sharge the collar after every use. I am waiting to here back from dogtra as its only a couple years old.

The second time the dog yelped was at 1:53 in the video. It looked like you had your hand in your pocket on the ecollar.
    Wayne Nutt

Yup your right, he got a very light burn all the way down. I was under the impression that these were to be mixed in once or twice per session.I am using Rick's FD and have watched it several times in particular this portion as i have never attempted this with a dog. His are very light, when he yelps his collar is at 25 out of the 127 the unit goes up to.
    This right here is the reason i post on here, i appreciate your help. I just wish more would join in. It really seems like theres a "boys" club on here and some of the newer board members sometimes get past over.

I don't know about Fowl Dogs but I use TRT by Mike Lardy. Generally the force process is to have them in a remote front sit position and cast them back and on the spin nick the dog in momentary mode (assuming left and right backs do on both sides). Lots of freebies. After that goes well a couple of times, then nick him enroute to the pile (say between 1/3 to half way to the pile) but not at your side. If his is going straight through the force points and going with enthusiasm to the pile that is probably enough. the Lardy FTP distance is about 35 to 45 yds. I use 40 yds.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 01-04-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Wayne Nutt