The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: why so many training threads and soooo little...

Trap and I Are up getting gear together. Lots of ice on the rivers, so we are going to do the goose thing.

Snakey Jake thinking it is far more important to watch the Ducks in the air then taking pictures!!

Last edited by Kevin Eskam; 01-06-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    HRCH Rocky Mountain Rosco SH (RIP)
    HRCH Satins Jumpin Jedi MH (600+points)
    HRCH 4X GMPR KB's Snakey Jake of Poudre River MH (600+points)
    HRCH APR Lady Satin of Black Forest JH
    HRCH MPR KB's It Showtime of Bearpoint (Star) JH
    HRCH KB's Loaded to go Allie SH
    HRCH 2XGMPR KB's Blazin White Thunder (Blaze) SH
    HRCH 4XGMPR KBs Right To The Point Ike SH
    HRCH 3XGMPR KBs Hunters Dream JH
    HRCH GMPR KBs They Call Me Beau JH
    HR 2XGMPR KBs Princess Sage JH

Mark,

Some see training as a means to an end; having the dog fit for the field or competition. Others like me see training as an end in itself, a never ending study full of fascination, science, and art. I suspect it's us afflicted souls that go on a bit much for your taste.

There are very obviously skill sets for hunting dogs that can to some extent conflict with Trials requirements, but all hunters benefit from a dog that's under control and handles properly at distance.

Yesterday I was presented with a rather boggy six acre wood with an unknown number of pricked birds within it. I thought me "Jack" and "Louis" did pretty well and so did the host for the day who came over and complimented us. But to do that work properly and in a workmanlike fashion I needed to have pretty solid control, verging on Field Trial standard, whilst at the same time letting the boys work things out for themselves. We couldn't do one without t'other.

I suspect you and Trap would have loved it.

Louis about to take a right hand over in "another part of the field" looking for a couple of birds seen to fall on the steep bank.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 01-06-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

all 20 yrd retrieves!!

Why my shootin was a bit "Off" that day!

Great memories.

Winchester 21 and a brace.

Most a these are older pictures... I just do laundry now.. and sometimes winders.... and dishes,,,, and crochette....
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Parkin lot of a public area,, There wers ome dudes already there takin pictures,, so I axed em if they would take ona me and my dog..

Thats Bailey,,AKA Creepy!

My favorite of her!

Burlap baggage

Peace brother!

It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Nicest gun in the world to carry fer miles and miles and miles and miles!

Maddie

Flinch! third from left..

View off my patio one afternoon.. I didnt understand why them sirens was a goin off..musta been a fire somwwhere

Last edited by MooseGooser; 01-06-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Gooser, There must be a trailer park near you.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Gooser, the patio pic and the commentary made me laugh!

I think sometimes heavy winds will spread fires.

Chris

This thread illustrates, to me, the flexibility of RTF. RTF is so many different things to so many different people.

Many folks go through cycles in their retriever-owning lives.

I can remember well the days I counted and reported my dog's retrieves while hunting, and hung his started ribbons on the wall. For me today, dog training is a therapeutic way of life. Hunting is a therapeutic way of life. I do them both and they are not independent of one another.

RTF is here for the full range - from the person seeking their first puppy and wondering how to do it (Tim Rider) - to the person running all over the continent racking up the all time record number of FT points (Bill and Micki Petrovish), or the person with 2 generations of National Champions (Chad Baker). We have all of them right here on RTF and are fortunate as such. I have met all four of those people, right here through RTF, and consider all of them to be my friends.

RTF's culture can be a bit like training a dog. You don't need to nag or scold it to get it where you want. Sometimes you just need to gently urge it and encourage it. Show the forum (and its members) what you want.... In this case, it was hunting pictures. You asked for it, you got it. (Trivia: for you old folks, what's the advertising jingle that fills in the part in blue?)

Why doesn't RTF have a hunting subforum? RTF has added subforums over the years, and not a lot of them. To my mind, a subforum is added when the subject matter dominates/clutters the main forum. Examples are: POTUS (which was created about 12 hours after Obama's first term was official) and Puppy Classifieds (which was driven primarily by lab puppy demand and members' activity in that area). If you guys clutter the main page, and show a demand for an excessive amount of hunting threads - we'll probably have to add a subforum.

Mark, don't take it as an affront that your perception is the main forum is all training and not hunting. I say this as a perception, because as Jay Dufour pointed out, there is a WHOLE LOT of content on the RTF main forum that is not about training at this tme.

I'll start another thread on this, but will point it out here. I'm very proud to be associated with RTF right now. Franco and Raymond Little were both KEY in helping Davis and Jamie Arthur gain some closure with their tragic loss of Boz. If it weren't for these 2 local folks' awareness via RTF, one with media contacts and experience, the other with law enforcement/detective/prosecution connections in the local area, there's a decent chance that the Arthurs may not have gotten the kind of resolution they got. No it did not bring Boz back. But this pulling together made me proud to be part of RTF.

Sincere thanks to Raymond, Franco, and many other RTF members who worked to get the word out and try to help get Boz back. I had a very nice talk with Mr. Davis Arthur yesterday, as many of you reading have as well. What happened is terrible. But the scumbag who committed the crime has been caught, and perhaps many of us have benefitted or learned something in the process. The way bad guys are kept from pulling it off in the future is through awareness and preventative action. One benefit is that my own local animal shelter will likely spend some of their budget on training for their staff to establish a more robust protocol around the use of euthanasia in their program. RTF's own Lauren Hays and her connections have already been helpful in moving this project forward. If it weren't for RTF, I'd likely never have had the opportunity to communicate with Lauren. (I don't play dog games at her level...... CONGRATS Lauren - on your incredible run at this year's National with "Slider"!)

It sounds like the Lafayette folks could also perhaps modify their processes in determining if euthanasia is appropriate.

Mark, enjoy RTF. If you want more hunting pictures, just lead by example and ask for participation from others. I bet you get it. Maybe enough to justify a subforum! (We already have folks offering to be a new moderator for said forum. For that, I thank those offering)

- janitor

Thank you Chris.
    I am about training, alright not as much as some/most(?)...
    I have a buddy first, a hunting partner second, and a competitive dog third.
    I have learned so much from lee and here, that i feel it makes trap a better hunting dog.
    I was just curious what everyone does with all this training.
    Trap did 2 blind retrieves well over 100 yards today. Had to dive into the ice choked flowing water, over the solid ice, then back into the flowing water.
    He isn't perfect but some whistle stops and hand signals he got the first goose. Second was on the solid ice on the gravel bar, but down stream.
    Here is my boy after going back for 5 of the geese we left by the blind. He carries 1 bird all the time with, then i send him back for whatever is left behind.
    6 geese, 3 shooters.

Tired boy sleeping on the front seat of my old huntin truck.