RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

why so many training threads and soooo little...

30K views 112 replies 52 participants last post by  SFKennels 
#1 ·
hunting threads?
Is this place just about competition dogs, or are there people here who actually train to have a great hunting partner?
When i did my search here, I wanted a companion dog and hunting buddy.
Lee of wrl contacted me and I ended up buying trap, and started 1.5 yo male yellow.
We had chatted some and she said trap would be a great mix for me.
She couldn't have hit the nail on the head better.
He is awesome.
All these threads here just talk about training. Where are the pics of actually using your trained dogs for hunting?
I learned alto here, and continued traps training, and he now has to straight passes towards his junior title, and has retrieved 78 ducks and 22 geese so far this season.
We will enter the last two junior hunt tests in a few months and go for his senior next fall.
He also goes everywhere with me, even on my oryx hunt. Yet i read nothing of others and what daily life is like with their dogs?
Why?
Are most dogs here just kept in kennel and are not family members?
Are companion dogs not good hunters or competition dogs?
Here was yesterday at 2 below zero.

The oryx hunt.

Climbing thru tree branches in the river retrieving a duck.

His first Jr ribbon.

And a pic from in the duck blind.
I love my dog.

Come on now people, lets see some life pics of you and your dogs.

See less See more
#15 ·
#4 ·
It is more about the training here, and all the trial training will benefit the hunting dog's. I am not going to hunt test or trial the pup i have coming In a couple months but creep around here to learn something.

I tend to get lost in some of the terminology but am learning as I go. I do see some field photo's here and there.

#5 ·
Thing is hunting only lasts a few weeks. Ducks anyway. Training and competing keeps you and dog doing stuff year round. Field Trials shut down Nov until Feb basically so many give dogs a Vacation from competition and hunt with them a bit. For me I would plant a dozen or so pheasant and have at it next day.

#7 · (Edited)
Our waterfowl season is 3.5 months long.
That is plenty of time to train in actual hunting conditions. I don't hunt everyday, just to give trap a rest and be a house dog, and we didn't go today because of minus 6, and a winchill of of minus 17. I won't do that to my buddy.
Oh, and Wayne, RTF, yep, what are we training for?
Just titles? if so why? Just to breed a mh, qaa, etc, for the money? are you saying that's what this is all about?
The money, titles?
Where are the breeders/ trainers that have pride in producing great all around dogs as companions and hunters?

#8 ·
Oh, and Wayne, RTF, yep, what are we training for?
Just titles? if so why? Just to breed a mh, qaa, etc, for the money? are you saying that's what this is all about?
The money, titles?
You are attempting to group everyone on RTF into one category or group about something. We are not all the same and all of us come to RTF (which is the best retriever site in the world) for possibly slightly different reasons. Use the wonderful resource for what you are interested in using it for. The rest of us all do the same.

#11 ·
I hunt my dog. I also run him in hunt tests. No, I can't bring him to Home Depot every time I go but I do bring him every time I hunt with the exception of big game. The places where I hunt big game don't allow dogs. Otherwise, both of my dogs are with me and are family dogs also.

You have hit the nail on the head about one of my pet peeves. The whole hunt test program was set up so that the average "Joe-hunter" could bring his dog to a weekend test and try to pass the standard. It's gone WAY past that in my opinion and I would like to get it back to that point. You are living what that program was started for. Take your hunting dog to test it on the weekend during the "off season". To me it is a great way to keep the dog in shape for the hunting season and to keep training the dog to a higher standard which translates to a very special dog in the blind AND at home or elsewhere.

BHB

#12 ·
#13 ·
I would really enjoy a page exclusively for HUNTING.

#19 · (Edited)
Yes, sadly prego.
They breed all year.
And thanks guys. Nothing warms the heart as a fine dog doing what they are bred and trained for.
And no i do not play golf, or race, or rodeo. Age has given me a more subtle way of looking at lfe. After jumping out of a c-130, rappeling from a chopper, getting shot, blown up by a grenade, and other near death happenings, i don't riisk much anymore, nor does the body allow for such.
I do shoot br, idpa, and trap.
I can understand a machine or tool or ones god given ability to compete with, but give the dog its credit. One is but the teacher or director.
Not the same, as competing in a sport where your ability determines the winner.

#21 ·
The training is the same for basics and transition no matter what the ultimate use of the dog. It is only in advanced work that the degression begins for field trailing, etc. Most questions are about basics and transition. So very few of the posts are about advanced work.

I would guess that about 90% of the questions on RTF are about basics (ob through swimby).

#22 ·
Maybe you can ask Chris? Maybe he would start another thread geared towrd the hunter and the dogs they work? This is not the only dog form out there so you could find what your looking for on other forms? I am a hunter and don't dog trial but I like this form because I like to think and work to train. I like well trained dogs and I don't care what breed or what they do, I like well trained dogs. Duckdon

#28 ·
If you had the stones to fast rope out of Puff The Magic Dragon, you should try field trials. Only bummer is you have to be able to take being killed off week in and week out. Lol

#29 · (Edited)
That was quite some time ago! !
Have no interests of running ft's. Heck, I didn't really want to do the ht's, but got talked into it.
Guess I'm just satisfied with having a hunting buddy and all around great dog.
We are shopping right now and trap is right along with us.
Sams club.

Lowes.

#30 ·
Mark, cool pics. Took my guy into tractor supply today for the first time. Kinda fun to sit them in an isle and walk to the next one over and see the expretions on the peoples face when you come back and get him. Even better when they find out he is only 9 mos. old. No hunting this year for him but when we do you can bet I'll have pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.