The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a pup when going on vacation?

Default What to do with a pup when going on vacation?

This is my first post here, but I have been reading the forum for a few months. I have really gained a lot of valuable knowledge from "listening in" on the conversations here. Thanks, everyone!
    I have a six-month-old yellow lab female pup that I have been training on my own. She's a smart pup with lots of drive. Thanks to some recommendations on this forum, I am using Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Training program. It is going well so far, and we are about halfway through force fetch at the moment.
    We have a two-week family vacation coming up in a few weeks, and I am trying to decide what to do with the pup. I don't like the idea of her sitting just around in the boarding kennel at the vet's office. She is a high energy dog and needs a lot of exercise. I would love the idea of finding a trainer to send her to for a few weeks just to keep her working and busy, and also to get to know a trainer for possible further training down the road. However, I am having a hard time finding any trainers in the local area, and especially any that would be interested in taking a dog for a short time. Is such an arrangement even possible? I guess the next best thing would be to find a boarding kennel that specializes in allowing the dogs more exercise. Does anyone out there have any recommendations for that type of boarding kennel in Central Iowa? Are there other possibilities that I haven't thought of?
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on the matter.

If you belong to a club or train with a group,and you should to further her training ,you might find someone who would board and exercise your dog,much better than a boarding kennel.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Where in Iowa are you? Stony Point Kennels is a training/boarding facility. George will treat you well. They are in SW Iowa near the NE and MO border in Shenandoah IA. www.stonypointkennels.com
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

good kennel in central iowa - will get plenty of exercise - John was also a pro trainer

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...yboarding.com/

Take her with you.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely check those out.

Just something to think about, worth what you paid for it. A trainer can throw a few marks for your dog or maybe shoot it a flier. If they have several dogs on their truck they won't have much time to spend on a dog who is just there for 2 weeks. I tried this a few years ago. My dog came back stressed out from being there. He stank. And didn't seem to be better off for the experience, plus it wqas an outdoor kennel in the summertime.

At my vets office he is indoors in the airconditioned building. The vet has kids who work for him who take my dog out and play with him every day inside a fenced area. They love Scooter because he sits and plays fetch so he gets extra attention. He gets a free bath if he stays more than 3 days and while they have him they go ahead and give him his shots. This saves me a trip. He comes home happier and smelling better. All for $10.00 a day $140.00 for a 2 week vacation. Worth every penny.

I found the vets to be tons better than the trainers. I am not knocking trainers at all. They are busy and don't have a lot of time for a dog that isn't staying is all I'm saying.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

A 7 month old makes it a little tricker as to the higher exercise requirements and they they might be entering a fear period. I would take with if possible, get someone you trust 100% to stay at your house or find a rehab place to board at. The rehab place can provide plenty of exercise. I remember one trip I went on, I had a housesitter for the older one and sent the younger one off to rehab. Or just stay home
    Mary

One more thought. Who gets the.dog if something happens to you? If they have committed to life or an extended period to rehome, then they might be good for 2 weeks?
    Mary

Eirc L.,

I took one of my dogs on a two week vacation this fall. A week sight-seeing and hiking mountain trails in western NC followed by a week on the beaches of Hatteras Island NC. Vacation is a great time for bonding and learning for a pup. Your vacation may not be as "dog friendly" as mine. Maybe time to rethink vacations in the future to make them suitable for your whole family!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer