The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: inexperienced trainer, NEED HELP! -

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Want to tell me who the originator is??
    I'm pretty sure it was this guy on the west coast.............Maybe Rex Carr??

I wasn't trying to start anything............
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was this guy on the west coast.............Maybe Rex Carr??

I wasn't trying to start anything............
    Maybe Rex Carr said, but I heard it said by Jim Gonia of WA State and have credited him here before... Sorry I didn't live up to the editorial standards.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Maybe Rex Carr said, but I heard it said by Jim Gonia of WA State and have credited him here before... Sorry I didn't live up to the editorial standards.
    Like I said BORED

HTML Code:
    Bored on a cold Saturday night regards
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by loganbh View Post
    I have used a sport dog e- collar and her obedience when the collar is on is stellar!! maybe the transmitter isn't working right as it doesn't seem to reach a long distance. therefore, at times a command may be "HERE, nick, HERE" she doesn't respond as well if far away. I used a check cord when she was six months old but found it to be a pain and by guiding her back to me she found it to be more of a tug of war game so I resorted to over praising when she came back to me. I have a few bumpers and a few ducks made by Dokken. I also use a super pro dummy launcher by DT systems.
    When using a rope jerk instead of a steady pull...It sounds like your amount of pressure used was not enough to get the point across....Praise is a powerful tool when used correctly but when mis used ( over used and not at proper times for proper behavior ) it becomes worthless as a tool ... Collar use..If she understands the here command when the collar is on , why take it off..? This only causes problems with the dog becoming collar wise and developing two sets of behaviors ..One when it is on and the other when it is off...We create the problem ...They are just reacting to their environment...They all understand or know when we put that thing on them...The worst thing you can have is a collar that is unreliable..Make sure it is working as intended...Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I'll start the bidding at $10,000.

You are very funny.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

loganbh

I would like to say that you have gotten excellent advice. I would also like to add that I had experienced problems that are identical to yours. In fact identical in every aspect. The root of my problem, as I saw it, was 1) my dog is water crazy and a real firebreather and 2) taking the dog off the long line too soon and 3) addressing the problem inappropriately which allowed the behavior to continue and become a habit. I solved my problem when I retaught the here command.

You say you are inexperienced. Find a training group that can help you. Also, make sure that your obedience is solid. Teach with no distractions, add distractions, then take the behavior to several locations to generalize it.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    You are very funny.
    Yeah, but looks aren't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbh View Post
    I am Not sure what the single double triple tees are and water force, water tee with swim by.
    I was a little tired last night. Sorry I missed her actual age was over a year. So, you've done everything up to Mini-T so far?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    You need experienced help.

This would be a good place to start looking. http://www.crrcinc.org/

I missed this the first time around, but this is an excellent piece of advice also. Get around some experienced folks. They will help you a ton. Joining Charleston RC was one of the best things I did when I got my first dog
    HRCH Brady's BlackGold Benelli "Nelli"

Blackgold's Lewd Lady "Kate"

Evan

I am out of the loop on Tees completely. please explain.

also, I took Nelli on her first hunt yesterday to see how these behaviors would relay in the field. I took things very slow and let her attitude determine the pace. I found that I need to distinguish between decoys and birds a little more. Fortunately, she knows how to use her nose well. She retrieved her first bird (a merganser) which was still alive and gave her a chase. It dove on her creating a 70 yard deep water retrieve, but she got to it perfectly. Upon returning to me, she stopped to smell each and every decoy, then proceeded to return the bird to hand. Later on in the day, nelli and I were out of the blind. My brother shot two blue wing teal in a deep pond. I brought her back to blind retrieve the birds. (no formal training on blind retrieves) she performed perfectly, swimming past the decoys and returning the birds to hand.

One thing that bothered me throughout the hunt was her constant anxiousness and whining. Is this something I should worry about? If so, how do I fix it?