The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: inexperienced trainer, NEED HELP! -

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions!! Im going to check out the different programs and stick to one.

Here's another question! I have heard from different things from different people as far as how often to work with your dog. some say once in the morning once at night for no longer than 15-20 minutes, and some say only a few times a week because you can over work your dog and may cause them to lose desire. Any opinions??

And in reply to Shawn White, I agree that it is a good thing, its just that when she needs to come back I don't want her playing in the water.

[QUOTE=loganbh;1051886]Hi,

I have a black lab named Nelli that is about a year and three months old. She is a very smart dog as most are and I have been working with her since she was about six months old. However, my inexperience and lack of knowledge created some bad habits.

Nelli is one of the most energetic and athletic dogs I have ever seen. She marks perfectly, has to be in the water, and will retrieve anything ON HER NAME. I can also shoot around her without any problems.

Here are her/my problems.
    -She retrieves, but when returning will run circles around me before returning to my side (like its a game). Also, if there is water near, on dry retrieves she makes a point to jump into the water before returning. How can I fix this??
    -She is very anxious and just wants to go go go!![B] How do I calm her down without taking away from her desire??"HERE" is my command for her to sit by my left leg,which she does well, she jumps and turns way up in the air in the process.. How can I fix that?

This may sound like a bunch of hooplah, I just do not know where to start!! Please Help!

First off, the first two problems you mention are both fixable with the teaching what your here command means ...Use a rope to establish the proper response from a short distance away ...The second ,jumping into position beside you , can be nipped in the bud by doing some finish work on lead... same as the first two...
    Both are resolved in one simple drill...don't worry about the dog jumping in the water on a return ...It will disappear as soon as the dog responds to your here command ....Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 01-05-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Yep the rope is a pain,but its a necessarily pain....you'll get used to it if you use it.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Your problems are all as a result of weak basic ob. Get a good program and start over with "Here" and work forward. Sounds like you have a good little dog there so make the best of it. I like the simple approach of Chris Akins, Duck Dog Basic's series of DVD's. I know there are more advanced materials out there and the Smart Work series by Evan Grahams is one that guys use. He is also on here allot with help, even though I think he missed the age of your pup when he responded above. In my opinion The Lardy system is great but to involved for a "newbee" and with out lots of experienced help you might get lost. Just my opinion. Duckdon

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It's really too soon to worry a great deal. This is pretty typical. Keep her on a check cord or lightweight rope to assure that she comes when called on retrieve. Separately from retrieving you should be doing obedience work fairly passively. Treat training works very well to establish fundamental commands prior to getting more formal. In a month or so you can e-collar condition to Here, and that will help in all ways.

At about 6 months of age assess her maturity to begin formal Basics.

The components of Basics in order

1) “Here”
    2) “Heel & Sit”
    3) “Hold”; automatically evolves to Walking “Hold, Heel, Sit”
    4) “Fetch”; ear pinch, which evolves into Walking “Fetch” & “Fetch-no-fetch”, e-collar conditioning to “Fetch”
    5) Pile work, including Mini-pile, Nine bumper pile; AKA Force to pile
    6) 3-handed casting; teaching the 3 basic casts – “Back” and both “Over’s”, including 2-hands “Back”
    7) Mini tee; includes collar conditioning to all basic commands, transferring to the go, stop, cast functions in micro dimension as preparation for the Single tee. Also includes De-bolting
    8) Single tee
    9) Double tee
    10) Water force, Water tee with Swim-by

Are you familiar with these processes?

Evan
    I am Not sure what the single double triple tees are and water force, water tee with swim by.

Thanks Steve! and all others! I will get a check cord and begin working with her ASAP

[QUOTE=loganbh;1051903]Here's another question! I have heard from different things from different people as far as how often to work with your dog. some say once in the morning once at night for no longer than 15-20 minutes, and some say only a few times a week because you can over work your dog and may cause them to lose desire. Any opinions??

10 -15 minutes of obed work at one time can become boring ..Watch the dog , it will tell you when the sessions are getting too long....Keep the lessons short and do 2 or 3 times a day ....Loosing desire is usually associated with too much pressure in training ...Keep the dogs attitude up and wanting to interact with you and you will not have any problems ...Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by loganbh View Post
    I am Not sure what the single double triple tees are and water force, water tee with swim by.
    Let's get through getting the dog to return and sit beside you before we worry about the other things...You'll learn soon enough ...Stay tuned to this net work and the answers will come.....Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    You can stop a dog from going in the water by pointing them at it and saying "back".
    Bill, not a direct poke at you....

Grammar, English, Police: It would be nice if folks would "credit" the originator of the quote they are quoting.

We see this a lot on RTF.

Bored on a cold Saturday night regards
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Bill, not a direct poke at you....

Grammar, English, Police: It would be nice if folks would "credit" the originator of the quote they are quoting.

We see this a lot on RTF.

Bored on a cold Saturday night regards
    Want to tell me who the originator is??
    Bill Davis