The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro plan

Default Pro plan

Hello
    I have been looking into the pro plan focus puppy lamb and rice formula. My question is will this be ok for a BLM pup......most of the other PP formulas I have looked at specify small breed or large breed however this formula doesn't say large or small breed just puppy formula. Will this work for my pup.
    thanks

This is what my breeder advocated:

"You can keep your puppy on the puppy food until about 6 months. At this age the bones of the puppy really grow. In order to help prevent bone and joint problems it is important that this growth period take it’s time. We recommend that you switch his diet to a large breed puppy food. The puppy will still attain his full size but it will give the rest of him a chance to keep up. Once your puppy has reached his full height at about 10-12 months you can start feeding a complete adult diet. It is extremely important that you do not allow your puppy to become overweight."

My vet suggested switching to a large breed puppy food a little sooner, like 4 months. You want them to be big enough to crunch the larger kibble.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

My pup was on purina one large breed at 8 weeks from the breeder we bought a small bag of it and started mixing in pro plan large breed until the purina one was done. He's been on pro plan since and has an excellent coat, energy, and stools are small and solid. I've heard good things about Dr. Tim's too

Multiple breeders I know have their pups switched over to adult food at 4 months to prevent everything Wayne just said. Has worked well for them as well as my dogs. I switched my Wolfhound over at about 3-3.5 months.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Wow...even more confused lol. So will the pro plan focus work or should I go to a specified large breed puppy formula.
    Thanks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muggs View Post
    Hello
    I have been looking into the pro plan focus puppy lamb and rice formula. My question is will this be ok for a BLM pup......most of the other PP formulas I have looked at specify small breed or large breed however this formula doesn't say large or small breed just puppy formula. Will this work for my pup.
    thanks
    You don't need to use puppy food, just find a good All Life Stage food where the protein is animal-based. Most foods including all Pro Plan's Sport formulas are rated All Life Stages.

Ok...do you know if that formula is made with the smaller kibbles? Just my thinking that the pup may digest the smaller kibbles easier and quicker...but I don't know if that would make a difference or not again just me thinking
    thanks

He's Black,he deserves the performance, or whatever they call it now.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Ok...do you know if that formula is made with the smaller kibbles? Just my thinking that the pup may digest the smaller kibbles easier and quicker...but I don't know if that would make a difference or not again just me thinking
    thanks

the pro plan sport kibble is pretty small, mine have all been eating it since they came home and never had any problems with the size of it.

Wow...even more confused lol. So will the pro plan focus work or should I go to a specified large breed puppy formula.
    Thanks
    I would go to the Lg Breed puppy formula.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)