The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frequency of DA2PP vaccination

Thats why I give mine their annual vaccine combination .
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Ann, I ran titers on my dogs this year.

My 2 yr old, 2.5 yr old and 5 yr old were high positive on protection for hepatitis, parvo and distemper. My 6-yr old was low on hepatitis, so I vaccinated him ONLY for hepatitis, nothing for the other dogs as far as those three.

I did get annual lepto separate from doc for all four. I give that annually.

Meredith

I do lepto, Lyme annually. Distemper/parvovirus combo and rabies every 3 yrs, although I do titer prior to vaccinating. Most of my adult dogs go 4-5 yrs before needing a booster on dist/parvovirus. I don't do bored tells but I don't kennel my dogs either. Most vets up here do have separate lepto as they recommend it being given yearly.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Just a side note....the bacterial vaccinations (lyme, lepto, bordatella) don't last a year. More like 9 months. So if you are giving Lyme and Lepto, they should be done in the late winter (Feb., for ex) in order to provide protection through the prime season. There's not a whole lot of point in doing them in, for example, October in the cold weather climates.
    I do the distemper/parvo/etc. as well as the rabies every 3 years, but not in the same year. Bordatella every 6 months due to high exposure (agility, obedience, plus I own a boarding kennel). Lepto every February, we don't do Lyme at all because he's been Lyme positive and there's evidence that you do not vaccinate dogs who have already been Lyme positive.
    Not a believer in titers. Too much controversy at this time. We need to learn more about them. Just my personal opinion.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

That's why I do my lepto annually in March to cover our prime season for that, as there are varying opinions on how long the lepto vaccine lasts. We do bordatella (nasal) every 6 months for the dogs off training. I don't do Lyme at all either, though if I did, it would be annually and boostered late winter as well.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

What is the prime season for Lepto--spring into summer?
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

In the Chicago area, Summer into very late Fall.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Does anyone order vaccines?
    Foster N' Smith to name one.
    Just curious.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Yes. I do all my own other than rabies.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Happy New Year Ann,

My vet held off on 3 year for quite some time waiting to see some longer term data and effects. Her biggest concern was effectiveness into the 3rd year and dogs in situations where exposure was more likly ( hunting, other dogs ). She went to 3 year for all dogs 2 years ago. I like the $$$$$ saved.
    I stopped vaccinating after the Age 1 booster 15 years ago. All I give is rabies after that booster because its the law.

Your vet needs to read the research that forced the AVMA to go to 3 years, or longer if you closely read the guidlines.

The research strongly suggests (proves actually) that lifelong immunity is achieved once the Age 1 booster is given. The 3 year policy was adopted to placate the vaccine companies, it does not reflect need.

Thing like Lepto are highly geographic dependent. More than 50% of all Lepto cases are reported in Hawaii. Lyme totally useless. That vaccine should be taken off the market.

There is some new research explaining how vaccines contribute to cancer risk.

I don't titer either. All it does is indicate exposure, not immunity. The Vet doesn't tell you that when you write the check.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 05-26-2013 at 05:01 PM.