The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Internet training

Talking Internet training

I'm still trying to fully understand how to get the most out of the grounds I have as far as working with the factor's-wind ,terrain etc... this is new grounds (this being the second time training here)
    This is 1 setup I ran today, constructive criticizem ?(sp) .What do you think ? do you see away I could have gotten more out of my available factors.

Pic's where taken from the line and all marks where singles. with apx. 20 mph wind. Just coming out of hunting season with very little training over last 2 months so I figured I needed to keep blinds and marks seperated for now.
    I ran M1 (80yds),B1(160yds),M2(160yds),B2(200yds),M3(210yds ).

melloway 1-5-13.jpg
    Melloway's 1-5-12 blinds.jpgmelloways google with marks and blinds.jpg
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

My first question would be

1. what was your objective with the set up you chose, what were you trying to accomplish

2. were you trying to teach a concept or were you trying to test the dog

Do you feel like you accomplished what you were trying to get out of the set up
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I wouldn't have run the dog from that side of the road, on that end of the field, with the wind direction that you had.

90% of the time, I want the wind at my back.
    The other 10% of the time, I use the wind to add something to the setup.

Maybe that something is additional push towards a shoreline.
    Maybe it's to use the wind to carry the scent of an old fall across the line that the dog needs to take on a blind.

What's important, is that I'm not using the wind to cancel out another factor. I want everything pushing, or pulling the dog in the same direction.
    For instance, I don't want to use a crosswind to push the dog away from the shoreline that is sucking the dog in. Fading with a crosswind, is just as bad as sucking in to the shore.

If I have to run from a direction that has the wind pushing the dog away from the shore, I'll do something like a poison bird or old fall on the shore, so scent will carry out to the dog, and thus I can use the wind to provide additional suction.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 01-06-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    My first question would be

1. what was your objective with the set up you chose, what were you trying to accomplish

2. were you trying to teach a concept or were you trying to test the dog

Do you feel like you accomplished what you were trying to get out of the set up

1 I was mainly after the blind's today as that is our week spot. the hill and the wind both pushing her down from left to right side of the pic.

2 I was trying to work with the angle of the road, It's kind of hard to tell but ,on the top pic on the left side of the pic the hill falls toward the road, so I thought I had wind and the terrain both working in my favor.

I was more trying to test the dog since it has been quite awhile since she has seen any marks,kind of seeing where we stand if you will.

copterdoc- There is a ditch on the right side of the road that becomes uncross able about where the little tree's are in the top pic. So if I run from that direction it chokes down the amount of room I have and on the top pic where the 4 wheeler is sitting the hill drops of to become just about useless .
    I do see what you mean by not running from there now with the wind.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "