The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I throw like a girl...

Unhappy I throw like a girl...

Is that cuz I'm a girl? Can any of you other ladies throw good?

My birds hardly go anywhere. I keep practicing and practicing and I'm not much better than I was a year ago.

Meanwhile my husband comes out every now and they go a-sailing almost every time.

I was hoping I could shoot my own fliers, but that is not looking like a possibility anytime soon.

Edit: I've mostly thrown dead birds, never gotten them to go very far or high. Right now I'm practicing throwing dead birds and pretend shooting them with poppers...trying to work up to the real thing, to throw and shoot by myself. I am also learning to shoot, but apparently I'm ok at that.
    Last edited by mitty; 01-06-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Renee P

It's all in the grip and release. Fold the wings back and grasp both wings together at the base. Wind up as to throw but don't release until your arm is up at between a 45 and 60 degree angle.

I'm not a girl but I am older than dirt.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I can get pretty good distance, just not in the direction they are supposed to go. Many bumpers in tree limbs and ducks behind me
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

2Tall see my post. It's in the release point.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

You can plant a bird where it should be, then throw a bumper to that spot.

Some people use a winger to "throw" their bird.

I thought I had a genius idea and bought a Lacrosse stick. They have a little basket on the end and I figured it would be good to throw a duck with for the throwing challenged. It works but not for the throwing challenged, those that can't throw it by hand aren't much better with the stick.

I don't know if it'll help but try picking a spot up in the sky at about 45 degrees and throw it there. Or aim for the top of a tree on the horizon. Trying to throw it to a spot on the ground usually results in a short low throw. Affectionately called a "worm burner" in our group.

I think it helps to hold a duck by a wing tip and the head for the throw too. Some prefer to fold the head between the wings and hold both wings. If you start with the duck a little forward, then swing it back, then forward for the throw the weight of the duck helps the throw.
    Last edited by John Lash; 01-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

My wife had shoulder surgery a few years ago and now when she goes out with me she faces the opposite direction of the throw and throws a pretty good arc with good distance over her head behind her.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    It's all in the grip and release. Fold the wings back and grasp both wings together at the base. Wind up as to throw but don't release until your arm is up at between a 45 and 60 degree angle.

I'm not a girl but I am older than dirt.
    This sounds like how I try to throw a flyer. I haven't done a lot of that, most of my experience is with dead birds. Are flyers easier or harder?
    Renee P

Two of the best throwers I know are women. Mary Beth Corsini and Paula Richards. Really great arms and consistent. I can either throw really well or be an absolute embarassment and I have witnesses! Because I train alone a lot I am able to throw and shoot my own fliers.

Quick story: Years ago I was live gunning at a FT (when my shooting was better than it is now) & one of the judges was someone you all would know. She came out to the station with some instructions and clearly was addressing the guys (I was the only woman at the station). When she came out again and once again blatantly ignored me- I was not amused. I think she thought that I thought it was "cute" to pretend I could be a live gunner. So, I told the guys to just sit down for a few birds and I gunned alone. Funny, she didn't seem to need to come out with any tweeking of our gunning after that!
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    2Tall see my post. It's in the release point.
    Wayne is correct...I have actually been practicing the motion the last couple days because I am throwing marks for Don Remien on Tues/Wed in Niland Ca...

Mitty : think girls softball, the motion is identical to a Jennie Finch pitch (without the velocity) use your legs when you throw and stride into it...or else plan on making an appointment with my friend Dr. Bedell in Logan when you throw your back out...no need for a big full wind up, but if you step into the throw your distance and height will be more consistent....

throwing your own flyers is a whole nuther matter...might need to spend some time at the skeet range next door to Lee Kay at station # 7 before trying to throw and shoot
    Last edited by BonMallari; 01-06-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I have a full body throw. It's the most awkward looking thing but I get the birds mostly where they need to go. One of these days, I'm going to throw myself right off my feet! It's all in the balance and foot placement. LOL
    Jill and the Tealgrove Retrievers
    Meg - FTCH Elmingo's Prime Suspect MH
    Jett - Eslana Tealgrove Jet Set MH, Can/Am WCX, CD
    Porter - CH Skylon News Report
    Logan - Sherhaven's Wee Highland Fling June 25, 1997 - January 25, 2010
    Kinsey - Rimfire's Kinsey JH WC March 1994 - October 2007