The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I throw like a girl...

I think harder, the flier really has to be thrown. Too many just kind of release it.

Pheasant fliers, if they're strong fliers kind of throw themselves.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

My wife throws for me. She used to be horrible at it until I told her to pick a target and try to hit it with the bumper. Haven't had a problem since. She can change the arc, length etc one she has her target. :
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

Thank you Miriam. I use a variation of a slow pitch softball throw. It helps that I used to throw fast pitch a very very long time ago. I like use the legs, but when it is wet, I use the wings. I focus on the spot that I throwing to, step, and throw. Yes, I do one wind up arm move. Also. the release needs to be at the when your arm is almost even the shoulder. It just takes practice. We even taught on of are training partners. She developed her own method that was most comforatble for her.

Mary Beth

Mitty use the same techique for dead birds. Otherwise there is no real way to grip a duck.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    My wife had shoulder surgery a few years ago and now when she goes out with me she faces the opposite direction of the throw and throws a pretty good arc with good distance over her head behind her.
    Good idea Brett. My wife always throws either 5 ft in front of her or 30 ft behind.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

http://adland.tv/commercials/volkswa...ss-2013-30-usa

You just need to be taught how,,,,
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I throw underhanded due to a bad shoulder and throw 60-65ft, give that a try.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

I am a pretty consistent thrower but have thrown so many birds that my rotatory cuff is beginning to wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Blind View Post
    My wife throws for me. She used to be horrible at it until I told her to pick a target and try to hit it with the bumper. Haven't had a problem since. She can change the arc, length etc one she has her target. :
    When I train by myself I mark the spot where I want the duck to go. I have to stand close as I am not a good aim either. Right now cleaning area of snow with my shovel!!!and aim to that spot. I can't always get the duck or bumper that high but the strings on the bumpers do help! but you don't always have control throwing that way. The ducks are hard to throw!!! So you get what you get when I throw. My dogs are used to me!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Good idea Brett. My wife always throws either 5 ft in front of her or 30 ft behind.
    Not my idea she just did it the first day I took her out to throw some for the pups. With the experimental surgery they did she can't raise her arm above shoulder level but figured out to use the bicep curl motion and release to get some height. She's able to throw marks that are visible out at 300 yards with bumpers or ez birds. (won't throw dead ducks due to being too close to her limit the doctor set on weight she can handle with that arm)