The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I throw like a girl...

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I can get pretty good distance, just not in the direction they are supposed to go. Many bumpers in tree limbs and ducks behind me

Yes, this! A few weeks ago I got a Dokken stuck high in a tree at some public green area far from my house- guess what I did to try and get it out? Yes, I threw another bumper up there trying to hit it down. Guess where the second bumper ended up? I just increased the value of that tree by $50.

Banned

Not to brag, but I throw better than just about anyone I know. Course, I've had lots of practice.

The key to throwing well, is the release....if you let it go too LATE....it goes straight up or over your head.

If you let it go too early, its really a flat throw. You HAVE to release it WELL before the 90 deg area (o deg is straight down). Like someone else said, the 45 to 60 degs (or maybe a little higher) is the optimum time to release.

I can throw a bumper consistently accurate over 40 yds or so....a duck, well it depends on the duck.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Not to brag, but I throw better than just about anyone I know. Course, I've had lots of practice.

The key to throwing well, is the release....if you let it go too LATE....it goes straight up or over your head.

If you let it go too early, its really a flat throw. You HAVE to release it WELL before the 90 deg area (o deg is straight down). Like someone else said, the 45 to 60 degs (or maybe a little higher) is the optimum time to release.

I can throw a bumper consistently accurate over 40 yds or so....a duck, well it depends on the duck.

WRL
    I.m sure its all in the belly and hip motion, right Lee
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

The group of people I train with.. nick named me (among other things) "Chicken Wing"

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

If your under hand throws result more often in worm burners, straight up or behinds....try the hand grenade aproach. Much easier to put maximum effort and maintain a consistent release point (especially when people are watching)
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    The group of people I train with.. nick named me (among other things) "Chicken Wing"

Gooser

My husband sez to me, "I throw like I'm doin' a pirouette." he looks like he's doing some chicken wing thingy but them birds go FAAAAR!

Bon, I'm on #5 and shooting about 80%, if you don't count the times I forget to release the safety . I only got about 100 rounds to my name, so I hear that's pretty good?

Wayne, I'm not older than god but my husband might be? And he throws good!

You guys/gals are funny!

I aim ( ) to do better!
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    .....I can throw a bumper consistently accurate over 40 yds or so....a duck, well it depends on the duck.

WRL

a note for old freezer birds or very shot up freshies.
    go for a 3-point hold. Two wings and a head or two legs and a wing or a leg, wing and head. The most surest, stepped into toss can be fowled by the body part you are holding breaking off, mid swing.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

for throwing flyers, it helps to hold em by the feet and let them flap there wings, in a trial its best to face away from the line as not to distract the running dog. for the hold, some grab to wings over the back, some hold two wings and a foot with the wings folded down (like they are when walking), some grab a wing and a foot. I found by picking a spot on the ground, the throw goes to the ground. I pick a spot in the air where I want the duck to start flying. (kinda like a catchers mitt for a pitcher). wingers also work good, but I dont think they use them in FTs. For dead birds I'm like most people I need a HELMET,

I am a young fellow with the physique of a Greek God. I can leap tall mountains and throw anything with the accuracy of a guided missile. I despise witnesses.

"I suppose you think that's funny?"

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Yes, Eug, having balls can help...

Gives the distaff side more "armament" to play with.

MG