The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I throw like a girl...

40 yds is no better than a short throw if the bird is suppose to only land at 15/20yds.

You know if you can throw, if you can put the bird in an area about the size of a kids wading pool at whatever distance the throw is suppose to go.....

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

There's a reason these guys in kilts use the full body technique to toss weights.

Roll the birds wings to make a tight burrito. Get a nice, firm hold....step in to it and use your hips & shoulders to toss the bird.

weight throw.jpg
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Well I tried to throw them more like flyers and I think it went better today. If you don't count the one that I had to rethrow because the head fell off I had a chance for a shot at at least half of them.
    Last edited by mitty; 01-08-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Renee P

I had a friend once tell me. "Regardless of how bad you throw you are not going to get fired, so quit trying". I was not having a good day

Go to football field and practice throwing over the goal post. Start with bumpers, next Dokkens then dead pigeons followed by teal or wigeon andd finally mallards. Hens first then drakes. As you have success your confidence will grow and your success compleation will rise. Start 10 to 15 feet away from the cross bar. Soon you will be adding more distance. The goal post height is the minimum height you are aiming for. That height or better is what will satify your training partners and the judges. Once you get the height issue established start adding distance. A number of the previous post have given you good advice already on technique (body movement) and how to hold the bird. Failure to practice will have you reduced to being requested only to plant the blinds. Surely in life you you can aspire to great achiements than dealing only with the blind. (lol)

For smaller individuals or women, I save wood ducks from the hunting season and use those instead of larger, heavier mallards.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Well ...... If you don't count the one that I had to rethrow because the head fell off .
    that is why the 3-point grip I typed above works.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin