The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Angie Becker Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    No question - especially given the lame minor spaniel breed clubs in this country. That is, unless all the minor spaniels consorted and came up with an A/V (any variety [other than springers and cockers]) trial a few times a year. Hell would not just freeze over but send up iceberg missiles before that would happen.

And that's what makes it even more pitiful and affirms what you said about the minor breeds being "damn near a lost cause" as gundogs - because from this kind of A/V trial, as is held in the UK, you could earn an FC essentially competing against your own breed of dogs.

If - and what an "if," as in "if wishes were Secretariat, you'd have a lot of horsepower to run with" - they had any interest in field work a'tall. Which they don't, feeble endorsements to the contrary. And there's no way enough spaniel - and gundog - lovers could ever import enough working Sussex and Clumbers to have that happen anyway. Double-damned near lost cause, I agree.

MG
    The minor spaniel breeds are unfortunately a lost cause as gundogs. The other unfortunate part is alot of those show people have some pull with the hunt test program which keeps them dumbed down. I am qualified as a spaniel hunt test judge but I have never done the apprenticeship because I would rather shove a fork in my eye than watch some show clumber be coaxed into the water for 5 minutes to do a 15 yard retrieve. They need to give them a WC and a WCX program, especially if retrievers are allowed into "flushing" hunt tests. I think allowing retrievers in is a great idea, could inject some new lifeblood and we could use the numbers.

where is Ken Guthrie when we need him....I just know he is out there
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    If you planned to bury it at Ed Whitaker's place for good-faith safekeeping, bear in mind Breck used to work nearby off Boot Road and has infrared thermography ground penetrating radar.

MG
    Not knowing much about FT Spanials and their benefactors, for want of a better word....... I, for a moment, thought you were talking about the guy at GM

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I love you, Renee!!!

P.S. Can this be WRL's new avatar?
    LOL wonder if felony choked on her popcorn......

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    where is Ken Guthrie when we need him....I just know he is out there

I think he is off with Quix Chang trainer discussing the price of tea in China.

Regards,

​Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

www.southforkkennelsllc.com

Come on man! Angie take the bet. Knock em down to size and spit em out.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by jwdavis View Post
    Angie,
    faster than you could make an FC springer.

Are FCs made, or are they born?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Born to be made? I read that in this month's RN.

Have either of you ever placed in an open stake trial with dogs you trained yourself? Sounds like a lot pissing with nothing to back it up with.

Quote Originally Posted by labraiser View Post
    Have either of you ever placed in an open stake trial with dogs you trained yourself? Sounds like a lot pissing with nothing to back it up with.
    Springer Amateur, never placed in an open. Only ran a couple because I agreed to gun the amateur because I had no intentions of going to the National amateur last year. Both my trial dogs were trained by a pro and I give him all the credit for any of my meager successes. I also have another friend who trains retrievers professionally and he has helped me with two of my dogs and he deserves some credit also.