The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New RTF member and retriever owner!

Default New RTF member and retriever owner!

Hi all,

My name is Jordan and I am brand new to this forum and to owning a retriever. I have always been a dog lover and have had my Border Collie since I was 19 and he has been the best dog I could ever ask for! A year ago my wife got the dog of her dreams, a little Pompapoo who looks like a teddy bear. Well recently we decided we might like a 3rd dog. I was persistent in the fact that if I got another dog it was going to be a hunting dog, well lucklily Golden Retrievers are not only good hunting dogs, they are also beautiful animals and the only dog we could agree upon. My wife and I decided to go look at a litter of pups a few days before Christmas, well nedless to say we ended up coming home with one. It was actually her Christmas present, but I get to benefit from it! I am brand new to owning a hunting dog and training them. I work a lot of hours, so I have been doing all the research I can to learn how to properly train our puppy to be my hunting buddy. Hopefully I can find a bunch of help on this forum!

Glad to be a part of this all!
    Blake-Golden Retriever​-16 Weeks and growing fast!

Welcome to RTF! As part of your newbie training, start on page one of the TT thread and read until your eyes bleed. Read a little more and come back with a report on the gang! (complete sarcasm well, not completely but, close )

Another tip, use the search function (upper right hand corner)first and quote a thread then, ask a question. It will save you a ton of misery.. Happy New Year, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the RTF Jordan.
    What is your pups name?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I'm new here myself. Seems to be a great site with lots of info and great people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Welcome to the RTF Jordan.
    What is your pups name?
    Thank you, his name is Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Welcome to RTF! As part of your newbie training, start on page one of the TT thread and read until your eyes bleed. Read a little more and come back with a report on the gang! (complete sarcasm well, not completely but, close )

Another tip, use the search function (upper right hand corner)first and quote a thread then, ask a question. It will save you a ton of misery.. Happy New Year, welcome aboard.
    Thank you for the help already!

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    I'm new here myself. Seems to be a great site with lots of info and great people.
    I would definitely have to agree and I've only been a member for a few hours now!

will you and Blake go out after ducks and geese or upland game birds? Or both?
    are you a boat hunter?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    will you and Blake go out after ducks and geese or upland game birds? Or both?
    are you a boat hunter?
    Probably mostly grouse and pheasant, but would love to get into both duck and goose hunting. Sad part is I don't know much about either, but have always had the desire to try it! I'm actually not very skilled at any form of bird hunting because no one in my family is very serious about it and I have never had a dog to hunt with. So I guess what I'm try to say is that I am a novice bird hunter as well as dog trainer, so my work is cut out for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post

Good One, I really laughed hard on this one, Paul!