The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New RTF member and retriever owner!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Don't pay attention to these dorks. They just have the winter crazys.
    This is my favorite Jennifer Henion post of all time!

3DG, welcome to you and Blake.

My biggest suggestion: Keep it fun. Don't get angry. Take it slowly. If you find yourself saying "I wonder if he can do XYZ"....be tempted not to try it. In my opinion, if you're advancing at the right pace, you will have a good idea that your dog can and will do it when you're ready to take that step.

(It all comes together gradually, building a solid foundation and then advancing from there.)

Enjoy! Chris

Welcome aboard Amigo!
    Pic of the pup please
    Goldens Rule !!!

IMG951413.jpg

He's at that sort of lanky stage, but still a beautiful boy!
    Blake-Golden Retriever​-16 Weeks and growing fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    This is my favorite Jennifer Henion post of all time!

3DG, welcome to you and Blake.

My biggest suggestion: Keep it fun. Don't get angry. Take it slowly. If you find yourself saying "I wonder if he can do XYZ"....be tempted not to try it. In my opinion, if you're advancing at the right pace, you will have a good idea that your dog can and will do it when you're ready to take that step.

(It all comes together gradually, building a solid foundation and then advancing from there.)

Enjoy! Chris
    Thank you very much! I appreciate the advice and will keep it in mind as I obviously need it!

Blake is about 14 weeks old and I made the mistake of trying to play fetch with him with a real bird about a week and a half ago. Absolute disaster! He went absolutely crazy and I had to chase him around the yard to get it back. Then I tried just letting him hold it in is mouth to get used to it and had to pry it from his mouth before he swallowed it. Got my fingers bit in the process. Pretty obvious that I'm an amateur and will not be trying that one again anytime soon. It is very apparent I tried to do too much too fast without following any appropriate steps. Only good thing is at least I know he gets "birdy"!!!
    Blake-Golden Retriever​-16 Weeks and growing fast!

One of the best training tools you will buy is a rope...unless you just like chasing puppies around. Have fun,make it fun for the pup. Read, watch videos, read some more and find a club or trainer close by to help you along.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Golden View Post
    Thank you very much! I appreciate the advice and will keep it in mind as I obviously need it!

Blake is about 14 weeks old and I made the mistake of trying to play fetch with him with a real bird about a week and a half ago. Absolute disaster! He went absolutely crazy and I had to chase him around the yard to get it back. Then I tried just letting him hold it in is mouth to get used to it and had to pry it from his mouth before he swallowed it. Got my fingers bit in the process. Pretty obvious that I'm an amateur and will not be trying that one again anytime soon. It is very apparent I tried to do too much too fast without following any appropriate steps. Only good thing is at least I know he gets "birdy"!!!
    At least you know he likes birds...
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey