The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New RTF member and retriever owner!

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Golden View Post
    Probably mostly grouse and pheasant, but would love to get into both duck and goose hunting. Sad part is I don't know much about either, but have always had the desire to try it! I'm actually not very skilled at any form of bird hunting because no one in my family is very serious about it and I have never had a dog to hunt with. So I guess what I'm try to say is that I am a novice bird hunter as well as dog trainer, so my work is cut out for me!
    Join the club! And don't be sad, you likely just found a great passion in life, even if it's not as early in life as some lucky folks with family members who teach the kids early. I'm a late comer, too, but so happy i finally arrived. You will love RTF as long as you have a good sense of humor and good sense of self. It is a great place for learning and new friends. Welcome and good luck!

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Join the club! And don't be sad, you likely just found a great passion in life, even if it's not as early in life as some lucky folks with family members who teach the kids early. I'm a late comer, too, but so happy i finally arrived. You will love RTF as long as you have a good sense of humor and good sense of self. It is a great place for learning and new friends. Welcome and good luck!

Jen
    Thank you for the advice...I am definitely excited for this new challenge. I have always had a passion for dogs and for hunting and now I get to combine the two!
    Blake-Golden Retriever​-16 Weeks and growing fast!

the state you are in has a strong NAHRA (North American Hunting Retriever Assocaion) following.
    A quick search should give you a few retriever club options.
    Totaly phyco wing nut types who will stand in the rain and toss birds for your dog to fetch.
    And all they will ask is for you to do the same for them. It is a good way for you to pick up some dog training and hunting tips and spots. Most all clubs welcome warm the fresh meat, er....... new people!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    the state you are in has a strong NAHRA (North American Hunting Retriever Assocaion) following.
    For NAHRA in Pennsylvania - Northern Piedmont Retriever Club is in the Carlisle area and SWPA Club is in the Grove City area. As for AKC clubs, I know of the Presque Isle club is near Erie and I understand that there is a new club forming in central PA as well. Both the NAHRA and AKC websites will give you a complete listing of clubs in your area.

Any of these clubs would be able to supply you with information with regards to upcoming training days and members in your area.

Welcome and good luck with your pup!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
    Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)

Welcome to the asylum.

You'll find RTF is a great resource.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Welcome.

Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

www.southforkkennelsllc.com

Definitely join a club and don't be deterred, everyone has to start at zero experience. And you couldn't have picked a better breed of hunting dog .
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by The Snows View Post
    For NAHRA in Pennsylvania - Northern Piedmont Retriever Club is in the Carlisle area and SWPA Club is in the Grove City area. As for AKC clubs, I know of the Presque Isle club is near Erie and I understand that there is a new club forming in central PA as well. Both the NAHRA and AKC websites will give you a complete listing of clubs in your area.
    Do you have any info about this upcoming club in central PA? I looked up clubs on both websites and NPRC in Carlisle is the closest as of right now, which is about 2.5 hours away. One in central PA would be great because I'm pretty much as central as you can get! Thanks for your help.
    Blake-Golden Retriever​-16 Weeks and growing fast!

What is your thoughts on show vs field, British vs American retrievers and using an e collar? Might as well hit them all and get it over with...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Golden View Post
    Do you have any info about this upcoming club in central PA? I looked up clubs on both websites and NPRC in Carlisle is the closest as of right now, which is about 2.5 hours away. One in central PA would be great because I'm pretty much as central as you can get! Thanks for your help.
    Bob Samios who is here on RTF has more information on this club.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
    Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)