The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Seizure

Default Dog Seizure

My blf had a seizure today that kind-of freaked me out, especially since she is barely 2yrs. I rushed her to my vet and had her checked out. After a check up and bloodwork she was checked out clear. She is under my close observation tonight and for the next few days. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem before. I am particulary worried as I am hoping to breed her this spring.

She is about the age where idiopathic epilepsey starts. Many times, you won't find anything on blood work. I am sure your vet told you that if the seizures continue, you will want to medicate her, depending on the severity and frequency. Did she have any shots recently, or get into anything? If the seizures continue, your girl should not be bred, IMHO. She can have a full life, hunting, testing or being a family dog.

I am sorry this happend to her/you.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Seizures can be caused by many things. A diagnosis of epilepsy is a process of elimination. If you can't find anything else that might have caused the seizure (poisoning, a hit on the head, low blood sugar, etc.), then the dog probably has idiopathic epilepsy. The age of onset is usually around 2 years. Your vet probably told you all that stuff.

My standard poodle has epilepsy. He had his first seizure at 21 months. He has been on phenobarbitol (PB) since then. There are other meds for seizures in dogs, but PB is usually the first one vets will try. If it doesn't work, they'll go to the alternatives. PB has worked fairly well with Alder. He has breakthrough seizures about every 6-8 months. Seizures are very scary to watch, but the dog is generally unaware of what is happening during the seizures. Some dogs learn to feel a seizure coming on. Alder is like that. He eyes get wide and, if he is able, he will come to me looking for reassurance. He has focal seizures, which don't involve the whole brain, and he is at least partly aware that something is wrong. He loses control of his hind end and wets himself. After the seizure passes, he is a bit foggy and disoriented, but will be acting nearly normal within about 30 minutes.

For your dog, I'm guessing the vet suggested a wait and see approach after a first seizure. If it never happens again, it probably isn't epilepsy. If it does happen again, it's probably epilepsy. Epilepsy has a genetic component. I wouldn't breed an epileptic dog and wouldn't buy a pup if I knew either of the parents had epilepsy. In most dogs, it's a managable issue, but it's not one you WANT to have to manage if you have a choice.

Good luck with your girl.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Breakhigh

My Lab had the same issues.

I was about to put her on meds.

Someone on this site told me to change her food.

I did and slowly but surely they stopped.

I went to a food that had chicken first, then rice, barley & corn.

Her previous food was a National brand which I see at many events.

I hope this helps.

Mike

My buddy has a dog that has seizures. She'll have one every 3-4 months. He talked with his vet and decided not to put her on meds,I'm not sure why but had something to do with side effects. I had a beagle that had them as well. I never put him on meds and he lived a long,otherwise healthy life. Both my dog and my buddies dog have them at rest.

My vet told me that if she had another one to pay attention to the length and severity. Also what might have triggered it. She shouldn't have been able to eat or be in contact with anything out of the ordinary. She might have bumped her head recently as when I aire her and the pup they get very rowdy at very high speed. How long should I wait to breed her to make sure that it isn't a ongoing problem?

I'd wait a year.If she hasn't had another one in that time it was probably a one time thing.From what I've seen once they start having them,there will be more every 3-4 months.

My first lab had seizures. They began when he was about 1 1/2. I would agree with the poster that said to wait about a year to think about breeding if she doesn't have any more. Cinn's seizures became much more frequently after the first one.
    JK'sboxofchocolates

SHR Diggs, Soul, Mooney and always HRCH Cinn SH 500 pt club (06/92 to 01/98), HR Rocks (09/99 to 05/04), HRCH UH Schooner SH 1000 pt club (11/95 to 11/07) and HRCH UH Wagars MH 1500 pt club (12/01 to 09/13).

I hope that your dog is alright and that this is something that will pass because of allergic reaction or what have you but no way in hell would I breed that dog until I was certain.
    Last edited by thelast2; 01-08-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

My female had a seizure at about 1 1/2 the next one was about a year later then the next about 8 months later they kept getting closer it ended up being her thyroid I was able to put her on meds and she didn't have them anymore. When she had her seizures she would get all stiff and tremble. My male I have now who is 4 had a grand maul seizure last July he thrashed wildly and frothed at the mouth. In October he had 2 in one day and then 20 days later he had 3 in one day. If you've never seen a dog have a grand maul it's not a pretty sight I put him on PB and so far he hasn't had anymore but there are times went he starts to tremble a little like he going to have one and then it passes.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow