The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Duke the Honey Boy

Default RIP Duke the Honey Boy

Had to put my brown boy down Saturday morning after 13 yrs and 8 months of a great life. Duke was a special boy to me as I was born and spent the first 38 years of my life in the mountains of Western Virginia hunting deer and turkeys. I had never shot at a duck or goose till I bought Duke. Being my first lab, I had no idea about titles or pedigrees. All I knew is that I wanted him AKC registered and from hunting lines. I found him through a friend and paid $250 for him and it was the best $250 I ever invested. After getting him, I dived into the many retriever books and websites and learned all I could. I joined a retriever club and I was hoooked. I was proud of him as Duke earned his Hunting Retriever Champion (HRCH) title. What was special about Duke is that he introduced me into the world of waterfowling and we had great times hunting ducks and geese from Virginia to Connecticut all the way to a trip we took with my Dad to Manitoba. Memories that will last a lifetime. He was also a great upland dog, be it grouse or pheasants. As my hunting buddies would say - just watch Duke's tail and have your finger ready on the safety! I live in Deep River and hunt up and down the CT River and plan on spreading some ashes of my boy from Great Island to Pratt Cove to the Salmon River Cove where we hunted together. This pic was taken after our last hunt together with a friend late last year. I love ya buddy and you don't have to be steady now and can break anytime you want! Tim
    Thanks Dad!

Beautiful tribute. Its too bad everyone in the world can not share the love of a good dog. The places they take you, the adventures they share, the smiles and laughs they give you, but most of all that look in their eyes at the end of the day that says, "I do this all for you" just like in your picture above. Be at peace with the memories.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Rest in Peace Duke

Thoughts and Prayers.

The Homburg's
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

www.southforkkennelsllc.com

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Sounds like a great dog who lead a great life. Sorry for your loss and Gods speed Duke.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

So sorry for your loss, Duke sounds like he was a wonderful dog and you gave each other a great journey. Godspeed, Duke.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Tim,

Sorry for the loss of Duke, sounds like a very special dog!! Surprised out paths have not crossed in the small state of CT. Be well!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Hi
    Sorry for your loss, he looks like a great dog in the picture.

Regards
    JT

May your memories bring you peace in your time of lose. Your tribute to Duke is touching.

Rest in Peace cross over the bridge.
    Earl Dillow