The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not going to tax the middle class

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    look at how SS works. How it actualy works. Then look up ponzie scheme. Then ask yourself. Why is the government able to do something they put that Bernie Madeoff guy in jail for?????? And the PURE Waste in SS, I see it every day. UGH!!

You're a working stiff like me, Ken. Without SS we have 4 options:

-work till we die (not my choice, i don't know about you...)
    -manage to save at least $1.75 million before we retire (with SS we need half that much). This is my personal choice as that should be attainable.
    -hit lotto
    -become "takers" and be a burden to society.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danis View Post
    Definitely should not have been cut in the first place. What would save us more money in the long run would be to open up drilling in Alaska and out west to lower oil prices. Get us back to what gas was costing when Obama took office in 08 and we'd have a lot more in our pockets than what the 2% cut is Social Security taxes gave us.
    Just paid $2.89 yesterday less .03 for having a savings card with that operator and being Tuesday, double coupon day for a .20 reduction. $2.66 a gallon. What a treat!

Keystone pipeline needs to get started too.

Looking at Energy Independence Regards
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Just paid $2.89 yesterday less .03 for having a savings card with that operator and being Tuesday, double coupon day for a .20 reduction. $2.66 a gallon. What a treat!

Keystone pipeline needs to get started too.

Looking at Energy Independence Regards
    How far we've come...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    The payroll tax (social security) as presently managed, should NEVER have been cut in the first place. That program is underfunded even at 6.2%.-Paul
    The program will always be an issue until private accounts with some of an individual's contribution are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I am an attorney and work with income and estate tax matters frequently. Most of my "wealthy" clients pay absolutely obscene amounts in taxes, and despite popular misconceptions there are no silver bullets. Some can utilize the lower capital gains rates for a portion of their income, but even then the vast majority are paying more far more as a % of their income than the vast majority of the middle class. However, even with lower tax rates the middle class is saddled with a very heavy tax load, since with their levels of income they are working much closer to the margin. I am not for any tax increases without accompanying spending cuts, but in this case I am glad to see FICA go up to its normal rate, since it "feels" like a tax increase to all Americans, even to the 47% who have no skin in the game when it comes to federal income tax. If nothing else it might possibly make people think a little before they blindly support tax increases that don't affect them.
    Thanks for contributing. Not everyone who participates here understands taxes . Recently read an article that places taxpayers at more like 87% when SS & FICA are included.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    You're a working stiff like me, Ken. Without SS we have 4 options:

-work till we die (not my choice, i don't know about you...)
    -manage to save at least $1.75 million before we retire (with SS we need half that much). This is my personal choice as that should be attainable.
    -hit lotto
    -become "takers" and be a burden to society.-Paul
    I believe we all would be classified as working stiffs .

IMO - anyone who retires without a 4 legged stool is not too smart -

SS - not real lucrative but buys beer, goes up a little every year, a portion of which goes to pay for the increase in medicare charges.

Job retirement - mine has never gone up since retirement (while I can think that would be nice, I can also see the company's side - a lot of money into someone whose lived too long .) But did invest the 401K & have gotten a decent return on that. One only need recognize that any one bad model could bankrupt the company I worked for - while I don't think that to be the case having watched the process for years, it is still a possibility.

Fixed Income - we have been in a ZIRP environment for so long that that well has dried up. High rate bonds have been called or matured & CD's that pay anything are just not there. So right now the stool has 3 legs.

Investing - Most on this forum know I invest & encourage everyone with the right temperament to do so. This is the time of year that I tally the score & will tell you that being in the market is the only way to deal with inflation, which is inevitable. To discuss FI & Investing we need a separate thread as it is a serious subject & could be beneficial to those who will probably be leftout in the SS reconfiguration, other than getting to pay & receiving little in return .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    To the title;

Who did people honestly think was going to bear the burdon of tax increases???

Are you that naive or just blinded by class hatred??

The "middle class" has, is and always will pay the freight!!

Wealthy folks have tax attorneys they pay more to (in salaries) than the taxes would cost to avoid paying them!!!!!

Haven't I read multiple times over the last few months that in actuality, it is the top 10% or so of the population that pays the greatest portion of income taxes, thus making the wealthy the ones really carrying the burden for the rest of us?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    look at how SS works. How it actualy works. Then look up ponzie scheme. Then ask yourself. Why is the government able to do something they put that Bernie Madeoff guy in jail for?????? And the PURE Waste in SS, I see it every day. UGH!!

I would like to hear more about the waste you see in SS every day.

SS isn't so much the problem as medicare, and medicare is the problem it is because inflation if healthcare costs is so much higher than over-all inflation. I realize that conservatives like to deny this... No matter what we do, if healthcare costs keep rising at the current rate, it will eventually break us.

I'm sure none here will be surprised to hear that I was against lowering payroll taxes and I'm happy to see them going back up. Yup, blame it on Obama.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

SS isn't so much the problem as medicare, and medicare is the problem it is because inflation if healthcare costs is so much higher than over-all inflation. I realize that conservatives like to deny this... No matter what we do, if healthcare costs keep rising at the current rate, it will eventually break us.

I'm sure none here will be surprised to hear that I was against lowering payroll taxes and I'm happy to see them going back up. Yup, blame it on Obama.
    Links, please!!!!!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

So, who and what are responsible for the current insane increase daily for health care???
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    So, who and what are responsible for the current insane increase daily for health care???

Are you saying that it is a new problem?

"For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Are you saying that it is a new problem?

Yes, just as new as the gov. running healthcare. If you would take a look at the explosion in medicare and ESPECIALLY IN MEDICAID, which has unliminted care and pays NOTHING. Whether you will admit it or not, THE GOV. CAUSED THE PROBLEM and now you expect the gov. to fix it. Dentistry has had the least involvement with the gov. than any of the other healthcare professions AND HAS HAD THE LEAST INFLATION of all. Dentistry has almost no participation in medicare(limited oral surgery) and none in the rest. For years virtually no dentists would participate in madicaid. Healthcare, energy, banking, education, all segments of the economy each growing at a greater rate than GDP, and all highly regulated by the gov. I wonder why liberals ignore this?