The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Needs Advice on Recall Training with E-Collar

Default Amateur Needs Advice on Recall Training with E-Collar

Hi,

What's the best step-by-step method for an amateur to train the recall with an electric collar (Tritronics Sport Basic)?

My dogs already have a good whistle recall. I have two dogs: a beagle/coonhound and a red field lab. Funny enough, it's the lab who's recall needs improvement. He also knows the 'sit', 'wait' and 'down' around me (not from a distance). However, he's easily distracted by animals and I want to lock down a better recall for all of the off-leash, outdoor hiking we do.

I'll be using a Tritronics Sport Basic collar (if anyone has one for sale - please let me know!). I've never used an e-collar before. I know it's a powerful tool and I want to use it in the best possible way. From what I've found out so far, training using a long lead line is the best way to start.

As you may have noticed, I'm not a hunter, nor do my dogs and I compete in professional trials. (Hats off to those who do - you and your dogs are amazing!). I just love dog training AND taking my dogs on long outdoor, off-leash walks in the wilderness. As mentioned, my main focus is a solid recall. Any advice and/or specific tips appreciated!

Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Check this out:

I haven't seen this particular DVD but it is what I would buy if I were in your shoes. I have two of his retriever training DVDs, and I had good luck with them.
    Renee P

"Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Renee, Hillmann's and Pat Nolan's methods are both fairly "soft" collar in training a reliable recall with the ecollar. I haven't seen that particular Hillmann DVD but his first two, anyway. Pretty simple for the amateur to use and understand and doesn't require two people and a dog struggling on a rope, for someone that is a novice and just wants to run their dogs offleash and on ecollar.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I'm a novice and using Evan's video was very easy.

Renee

Prolly just me and my weird way a lookin at things,, but dont you think that picture of Hillman and that crazy Jack russel is a poor representation of a "soft collar" approach?

I mean really,, that Jack is 2 feet off the ground from the stimulation??

Poor response in my opinion!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Renee, Hillmann's and Pat Nolan's methods are both fairly "soft" collar in training a reliable recall with the ecollar. I haven't seen that particular Hillmann DVD but his first two, anyway. Pretty simple for the amateur to use and understand and doesn't require two people and a dog struggling on a rope, for someone that is a novice and just wants to run their dogs offleash and on ecollar.
    I see he has a Kindle book (http://www.amazon.com/Companion-Obed.../dp/B0063AC7HA), something to download (http://ponderosakennels.com/10-page[...ce_update1.pdf), and something to join (Http://www.Electronic-collar-training.com).

I have looked at just a few of his videos that I came across on youtube, I think I was never able to find a main website. They look good!
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Renee

Prolly just me and my weird way a lookin at things,, but dont you think that picture of Hillman and that crazy Jack russel is a poor representation of a "soft collar" approach?

I mean really,, that Jack is 2 feet off the ground from the stimulation??

Poor response in my opinion!

Gooser
    Nah I think Hillman is just teasing him with a poofy toy!
    Renee P