Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now this??

Default Now this??

Blumenthal wants background checks for ammo

David McCumber

Published 10:23 pm, Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Page 1 of 1
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., said Tuesday he will introduce legislation to require instant background checks for purchasers of gun ammunition.
    "Ammunition sales should be subject to the same legal requirements as firearm sales -- instant background checks using the FBI's database. There is no rational reason why a person can walk into a store, fill their shopping cart with hundreds of rounds of ammo, pay up, and walk out without so much as giving their name," Blumenthal said, adding that his proposal would "close this ludicrous loophole."
    Blumenthal said that after the Sandy Hook massacre, "People in Newtown and across Connecticut have told me again and again: Please do something about gun violence. This legislation is one of several forthcoming proposals I will introduce to keep faith with them."
    The National Shooting Sports Foundation, based in Newtown, did not return a call for comment late Tuesday afternoon. The National Rifle Association also did not respond to a request for comment.
    Blumenthal said he has discussed the proposal with Vice President Joe Biden and others on the task force that President Barack Obama set up under Biden's supervision to study the issue of gun violence. Blumenthal said he views this as one part of a comprehensive strategy to reduce firearms-related deaths.
    "One of the reasons I feel so strongly about this proposal is that whatever is done to ban assault weapons and to broaden background checks for the purchase of firearms, there will already be huge numbers of weapons on the streets and in neighborhoods, including 3 million assault weapons," Blumenthal said. "This measure deals with the fuel that drives firearms violence. It's the oxygen supply."
    Most background checks, Blumenthal said, typically take "less than 30 seconds" and "are about as unintrusive as you could get."
    While there have been noted failures in the background-check system, he pointed out that of the 100 million background checks that have been done in the past 10 years, some 700,000 purchases were blocked.
    Blumenthal said it shows that less than one percent of the checks resulted in a "no" but the ones that did kept guns out of the hands of felons, those with mental illness, domestic abusers, drug addicts and others disqualified under federal law.
    Blumenthal's proposal would require ammunition sellers to keep records so they could potentially help police solve gun crimes.
    It would also require dealers to report purchases or thefts of more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition. Such record-keeping was previously required, before being abolished in 1986.
    The bill would also ban Teflon-coated bullets and incendiary ammunition, both of which can defeat body armor of the kind worn by law enforcement.
    He said anyone with a hunter's license or a pistol permit that requires a background check would not have to go through an additional one.
    Blumenthal stressed that many other things must be done as part of a comprehensive response: A ban on assault weapons, prohibition of high-capacity magazines, closing the gun-show loophole, strengthening gaps in the federal background check database, and better treatment, diagnosis, and intervention in mental-health cases.
    Blumenthal said he has discussed the ammunition issue with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who has asked Blumenthal to co-sponsor an assault-weapons ban with her. He also said Vice President Biden was "very encouraging" to him.
    "He knows my background in this area as an attorney general (of Connecticut) and he has said he wants me to be involved in this issue," Blumenthal said.
    Blumenthal said he expects to introduce the legislation toward the end of January, and that in the meantime, he is seeking co-sponsors.
    david.mccumber@hearstdc.com

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...#ixzz2HUIRrSNB

You guys beat me up when I talked about the OAS treaty..... Here comes the start

OAS treaty

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/Mags/oas-treaty.htm
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

That's OK gooser, I get beat on all the time.

EX: "incremental secular progressives" is so offensive.
    You have posted yet another "increment" as we "progress" towards an unarmed citizenry, the ultimate goal!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

I know some folks will lokk at it as not that big a deal because He wont require people that have a hunting licence or have passed a previous background check by the way of a pistol permit,, but every time we go purchase a new gun in a store,,,, Or at least in Colorado,, AT A GUN SHOW,,,, we have to pass another background check.

people get all goofy over the AMOUNT of ammo.
    Many folks think a Box or two of Shotshells lasts them Years>>>

If you shoot Clays Targets for recreation and Family fun,, 1 round of sporting clays is 4 boxes of shells (100 rounds)

When I was serious about shooting ,, I wouldshoot clays twice a week,, and shoot 2 rounds minimum each time I went out.

So for me to shoot 400 rounds of shotshells in a week was pretty common..

I reload,, but that is comming next!!!

They want to call me an ammo manufacturer,, and want to require a licence as such so I can purchase components,,,then be required to keep those same records as above!!

I cannot believe we are not doing more to fight this horse pucky...

I feel like Rumplestiltsskin,, and I have fallen asleep, only to awake in an entirely different land,,, cept it seems it is happening over night.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 01-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I know some folks will lokk at it as not that big a deal because He wont require people that have a hunting licence or have passed a previous background check by the way of a pistol permit,, but every time we go purchase a new gun in a store,,,, Or at least in Colorado,, AT A GUN SHOW,,,, we have to pass another background check.

If you shoot Clays Targets for recreation and Family fun,, 1 round of sporting clays is 4 boxes of shells (100 rounds)

When I was serious about shooting ,, I wouldshoot clays twice a week,, and shoot 2 rounds minimum each time I went out.

They want to call me an ammo manufacturer,, and want to require a licence as such so I can purchase components,,,then be required to keep those same records as above!!

I feel like Rumplestiltsskin,, and I have fallen asleep, only to awake in an entirely different land,,, cept it seems it is happening over night.
    I shoot "5 stand" 2 nights a week.
    100 rounds of 7.5 12 gauge a week.

Nothin to it, takes maybe less than 2 hours a week of actual shooting.
    Stan b & Elvis

Lawmakers work for US!!!

We employ them...
    Are you that hired the current staff,, happy with your new employees???

Do you guys on the left that own guns want this???

Do you understand the constitution???

Do you understand an Oath of office??

Have you called your new employee,, and told them to pull in the reins a bit??

Have you listened to the condecending smirk on the other end of the Phone like I have?

Ya tired of it yet??

or are Ya just ginna lay around and take it??

Gooser

How many people are killed by drunk driver?

Ya gotta have a background check to buy a six pack??

Wait!!! maybe that would be a good idea too!!!

In Colorado,,, (Joke) I can buy alcohol , pot, head rush, and parraphenail for use,, that will seriously alter my mental state,, and no background check involved.

But,,, My 20 round pistol clip is contriban.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post

I went through about 1600 rounds Monday,and never fired a shot!
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    That's OK gooser, I get beat on all the time.
    Well, Boo-hoo. I guess sometimes you get what you give.
    The coach used to tell us, "you should always be a good sport", and Stan, you are a good sport. You take your beatin's with a smile and a chuckle.
    The thing about bein' a good sport though, is you gotta lose in order to prove it.
    Need a ladder? JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    The coach used to tell us, "you should always be a good sport", and Stan, you are a good sport. You take your beatin's with a smile and a chuckle.
    The thing about bein' a good sport though, is you gotta lose in order to prove it.
    Need a ladder? JD
    Not true. A good sport is also gracious and humble in victory.

Now to the main topic:

I'm pretty disconcerted by all this. Despite all the talk, most gun owners I know are really decent, law abiding citizens and I don't think many are really ready to mount an armed insurrection in response to proposed gun legislation or exec orders (and any that do will be seen as complete wackos). I hope that the NRA has a huge legal defense fund to immediately challenge any restrictions that may result in this spasm. I would also hope that some of the states will challenge the Fed's right to overturn the 2nd amendment.
    Last edited by HPL; 01-09-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by JDogger

Need a ladder? JD

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Not true. A good sport is also gracious and humble in victory.

And to add to these well though out sentiments, shouldn't a gentleman handle DEFEAT graciously as well????
    Stan b & Elvis