The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ONce a week around here kid killed or injured

Default ONce a week around here kid killed or injured

Every week I'm reading in the local paper that a kid has either been killed or injured while getting on or off a school bus. Yup drivers breaking the law and not stopping when the schoolbus has its red flashers on.
    Start adding up the numbers. Where is the outrage?? Don't hear squat. Why???
    Half of them are hit and run.
    I'd like to know nationally how many children die in school shootings per year vs how many die or are injured by drivers ignoring laws about stopped school busses.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Every week I'm reading in the local paper that a kid has either been killed or injured while getting on or off a school bus. Yup drivers breaking the law and not stopping when the schoolbus has its red flashers on.
    I'd like to know nationally how many children die in school shootings per year vs how many die or are injured by drivers ignoring laws about stopped school busses.
    Is this a Hyperbole ? If not where do you live ?

Nation wide, each year approximately 800 school-age children are killed in motor vehicle crashes during normal school travel hours. About 2%of these deaths occur on school buses. This equates to 16 deaths per year for the over 4.2 Billion school bus miles driven per year, while 74% occur in private passenger vehicles. Approximately 22% are bicycle or pedestrian accidents. More than half of these deaths overall are due to a teen driver.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 01-13-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

so I just typed N. Carolina school bus in a google.
    seems your bus drivers may need a bit of drivers ed!!!!
    The top new one, of many, that popped up with about 30 kids hurt. 3 busses hit the same pick up truck!!!!!
    Come on man!
    Maybe dont hire Bubba from the turnip truck to drive your kids home.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

BTW,In the United States we spends $17.5 billion per year on school bus transportation at an average cost of $692 per student transported

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    The top new one, of many, that popped up with about 30 kids hurt. 3 busses hit the same pick up truck!!!!!
    Come on man!
    It's not Bubba the turnip truck driver. It is his wife trying to make a few extra dollars to help them off set the new health care they have to have.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Come on man!
    No doubt. Didn't read the stories but dang I thought thats where the Nascar drivers came from. Glad I live in Texas.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I know what you mean. One does not have to follow a school bus very long before you see some idiot barrel around the bus when it stops either to pick up a student or let one off. I think it was on the national news that I saw the story a few days ago about a woman who drove up onto the side walk to go around. More and more people are ignoring school busses stoped with lights flashing and stop sign out.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

I know what you mean. One does not have to follow a school bus very long before you see some idiot barrel around the bus when it stops either to pick up a student or let one off. I think it was on the national news that I saw the story a few days ago about a woman who drove up onto the side walk to go around. More and more people are ignoring school busses stoped with lights flashing and stop sign out.

P.S. More kids being hit in cross walks near schools around here ( Tulsa OK area ) also.

P. P. S. I can see that it is time for my nap...........double post instead of just an edit, sorry.
    Last edited by charly_t; 01-13-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

While we are on the subject of school busing, what ever happened to the "school bus stop"... ? You know, the concept where the bus does not stop at every house, rather it stops at about (x) mile increments and the students walk to and from their houses to this STOP, which can be up to 1.5 mi in Pa..

1.5 miles is a little extreme but come on, every house..............

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 01-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    While we are on the subject of school busing, what ever happened to the "school bus stop"... ? You know, the concept where the bus does not stop at every house, rather it stops at about (x) mile increments and the students walk to and from their houses to this STOP, which can be up to 1.5 mi in Pa..

1.5 miles is a little extreme but come on, every house..............

john
    We have bus stops around here. Some rather large groups of kids waiting for the bus in some places. Being rural near here there may be a mile between houses out here ( maybe more ). I understand that there is a formula for how far a kid has to walk to get on the bus in some places. Also not eligible for bus pick-up within a certain distance from the schools. And.......in bad weather we have snow routes where the kid has to walk futhure to reach that route as it is shorter. One problem has been that kids are sometimes kidnapped from bus stops. More commonly fights break out where no adult is present to keep the peace.
    And my pet peave on this issue is no one should be expected to keep kids ( now days ) under control and drive a bus. Tough, old ex military guys sometimes make good bus drivers Then there is the lack of being able to throw an unruley ( big ) kid off of the bus now days.
    charly

~Will Rogers~