• Remington

27 9.85%
  • Weatherby

2 0.73%
  • Winchester

24 8.76%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll on *Hunting* Shotgun(Semi-Auto)*Advice

I've hunted with Rem 1100's and 11-87's a Benelli SBEII and now a Beretta A400 Extrema. This past duck season I've hunted with the Beretta exclusivley and have grown to like it a lot. I had to adjust the stock to fit me and once I did that I'm hitting most of what I shoot at. Before fitting it to me I couldnt hit a barn door from the inside of the barn. To be honest it was that way with the Benelli also. With all of that being said I do not see muich difference between the Benelli SBEII or Beretta A400 Extrema as far as recoil or overall function. Remington doesn't even come into play as far as I'm concerned. With both the Beretta or Benelli I can shoot any load and not have to worry above malfunctions. They both are easy to disassemble and clean, they take a beating and keep on rolling and they are a joy to shoot. I've shot 3.5" Turkey loads out of both of them and the recoil isn't anything to worry about. My 10yr old daughter shot my Benelli with a 3.5" #5 Turkey Hevishot load and laid out a nice Gobbler. She didnt even notice the recoil.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

FWIW, I have shot a great deal more than the average hunter, as I not only hunt but shoot competitively also. If it will be used primarily for hunting, and ocasionally for targets, either a Benelli (inertia operated) or a one the gas guns such as A Beretta, franchi, SX2, will all suffice. Here are 3 points I use when coaching someone who is shopping for a gun.
    1. Try to handle each brand considered before buying, preferably shooting it also! This gives you a feel of the difference between the different brands.
    2. Personal opinion: a 3" field usually is noticeably lighter than any 3 1/2 " , the difference in performance is nill, shells are also cheaper too ! Plus a slight reduction in recoil is a plus! Particularly with a gas gun. If you feel you must have a 3 1/2' gun, you are better off with a 10 ga, the shells are the same price, and the 10 was designed to handle a payload of 2 to 2 1/2 oz, the 12 was never desined for that. Don't let anybody tell you they are the same in performance either, the 10 far surpasses the 12 3 1/2" by a noticeable margin.
    3. Whatever you choose, take the time and money to go and have it fitted to you by a professional! This is the most important thing I could stress ! Very few guns will fit correctly, right out of the box. They may fit well enough for you to hit some targets and birds. But one that is fitted to you will put more birds on the ground and more X's on your score card.

Hope you find what you can hiot with! JB

For auto loaders I prefer Benelli. Specifically, a Montefeltro. I have no need for 3 1/2" shells and prefer a classic wood stock over composite. Both my wife and I have 20ga and I have a 12ga also. I prefer my Browning OU however for most hunting.

The quality allows them to hold value amd they fit us very well. Fit is key.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Benelli SBE ll The fit, the quick effortless swing, the unbelievable reliability.

Nice Info JB and thanks folks.

Keep em' coming!

I'm not new to firearms or the purchase there of. However as I alluded to I know nothing about the Latest & Greatest Semi-Auto Hunting Shotguns.

I've just been pumping away with that Ol' 20 ga. 870 for quite some time with no thought until now of shooting anything different.

Correct me if i am wrong, but you have to compare the MOA (gas operated vs Inertia)? I have been searching for a Semi auto shotgun for awhile. Really thought SBE2 was my answer, but the Beretta A400 has started to cloud my judgement. Slightly heavier, but i was told recoils is best out of the 3.5 SA available. I am no gun expert, so curious about others opinions on this matter. Thanks, Matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

I wanna hear from the one guy that shoots a Mossberg.

I bought my Remington 11-87 as soon as it came out. Never had any problems and it has had a lot of abuse. Cleaning once a year if it needs it or not and tons of West Texas and Western Oklahoma sand. Kinda like the Energizer Rabbit. If the A-5 were still the A-5, I'd buy it.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Winchester SX-2. Made in the Browning factory in Belgium. Never had a jam no matter how wet or dirty. Easy to clean which I do once a year. Cost less than most others. All the gun I wll ever need.

I bought a Rem 1100 in 1974, have used it every season. that's 39 years of service. I've replaced the bolt buffer and some o rings that's it. The gas system consists of couple of washers , don't get much simpler than that.