Votes: 27 9.9%
  • Weatherby

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Winchester

Votes: 24 8.8%

Poll on *Hunting* Shotgun(Semi-Auto)*Advice

29K views 116 replies 65 participants last post by  Rich Martin 
#1 · (Edited)
Most folks who know me know that I'm no slouch when it comes to researching and decision making when it comes to making firearm purchases. I'm not a big fan of buyers remorse.

So like a lot of folks too I've grown up under the Remington(American Made) Label and have been faithful to it for the most part. I've got a Rem. 870 Express 20ga. that my Ol'Man got me when they first came out. It's been flawless through it's almost 20 years and 8k+ Shells later.
However it seems clear that besides the 870 & 1100 all other Rem. Shotguns(Recently) have and are suffering from severe LACK of Quality Control.

Being in the business of finding my FIRST 12 Ga. Semi-Auto Hunting Shotgun, naturally my first thoughts were towards Remington.
.....and onto the VersaMax. Yes I have read the ENTIRE 92 page(1836 posts) Epic VersaMax Topic on ShotgunWorld.com.

I've read many of the complaints and praises about the VersaMax and as hard as it is to admit I just can't get these few thoughts out of my head. Why would a company allow for their Flagship Shotgun to continue to be pushed out with obvious MAJOR flaws? Bent Barrels, Bent Mag Tubes, FTE's due to a sharp edge on the shell catcher etc. I know folks who are VERY happy with their VersaMax's and I know those who have been sent 3 different barrels, and have had their VM replaced 2-3 times and some who have just got a refund and moved on. These folks are still happy with Remington (Taking care) of them but that is NOT something I want to go through. I want to buy a new shotgun and be satisfied.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm just finding it very difficult to sink $1200-1500 in a Shotgun(Remington VMax) that may or may not work when I get it.

So I'm looking outwards.

As it stands it seems Berretta & Benelli currently own the field in Waterfowl Type Hunting Autoloaders. With Browning, Winchester, Remington and Mossberg in the field of play too.

For now I'm MOSTLY interested in hearing reviews and thoughts on Beretta’s(A400 Xtreme) and/or Benelli's(Vinci/Super Vinci) but by all means please don't hold back on any other gun manufactures who are producing these type shotguns.

BTW You can look on Shotgunworld.com right now and see topics on Benelli's with FTF issues and Beretta’s failing to function with 3 1/2's so I'm aware they aren't all FLAWLESS ;)

Fire away folks and Thank You

/

See less See more
#31 ·
Good luck!

#35 ·
I faced this choice, along with 2 of my friends, 2 years ago. We all liked the SBE, Beretta, and Browning Maxis. The Beretta didn't fit right so it was out. SBE shouldered the best but the Maxis was close second. Shot them both and went with Browning Maxis for 2 reasons: 1. Recoil felt much smoother, 2. $500 cheaper than SBE. If price was the same probably would have went with SBE. Maybe even $200 but definitely not $500. Extremely reliable though...verdict still out on Maxis. No problems yet with all sizes/loads. BTW, both friends also decided on Browning. I think mainly because it appeared to be the clear bang-for-the-buck.

#38 ·
Just to stir the pot, I'm not sure why every waterfowl hunter is hung up on semi autos. I used to shoot them when I started out. I guess everybody does. Have been shooting an over and under for years now, and I can tell you honestly, there are very few times I miss the third shot. Only time I use a "Big Ugly Gun" is goose hunting from lay out blinds when you want to make large amounts of sausage, and we're meat hunting.

#41 · (Edited)
I shoot a Browning Citori Waterfowler (3.5") for 5 stand and sporting clays as well as upland hunting.
It was getting a bit beat up duck hunting, so I bought a Stoeger 3500.
(it is supposedly a Benneli design made in Turkey)
I ended up shooting several hundred rounds thru it and it performed to my liking.

@ $600 it was a good deal and warrants a look.
I use a Tempest Gold modified choke.
It has a synthetic stock and a matte finish on the metal.
It was ideal for hunting in rain, mud, snow and handled bangs against boat gunnels as well.

Just my "frugal" opinion.

#45 ·
He's saying he doesn't need the 3rd shot.

To answer your 1st question, take a look.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-a400-xtreme-unico-ko-max4-12ga-35/
I figured that but thought he might have been talking about another gun. This year I've actually dropped a few birds with my 3rd shot. Something I usually tell folks in the blind so rarely ever happens you might as well not put 3 in your gun. I think it's mainly been b/c of letting Paid Hunters shoot first and then attempting to follow up leaving me the last one still shooting.

What question was that? lol

#46 ·
That 3rd shot comes in handy a lot. I've killed a lot of ducks with that 3rd shot. Then again, I kinda know which end of the gun is which. ;-);-)

Which gun would I buy. I've had probably 4 Browning Golds, a SBE 2 with comfort tech stock (Would kick like a mule. I sold it after 1 or 2 years.), & I now have the Beretta Xtrema 2 with the KO. I looked @ that gun I posted a link to & liked it. I'll trade up for it during the summer. Of all the semis I've had, the Beretta was the best.

#47 ·
I bought a Browning Silver when it first came out and have been disappointed in a couple of things. shooting Black Cloud shells hass required that iit be cleaned at least every other hunting day and it is also difficult for me to put it back togather correctly. sometimes I have to break it down 2-3 times to get it right. This year I did not even bring it and will only use my Benelli pump.

#53 ·
Really? I thought that was one of the easier gas auto's to clean. You must have had problems getting the bolt link down into the spring plunger? I flashlight helps to see and just sit the stock on the floor,use the light,and just slide the bolt down. I've done it so many times that I can tell by just looking at the bolt link if it will hit the plunger. Browning Gold,Silver,SX2 all the same.
As I said in my earlier post I'm found of brownings but specifically the Gold. I like the speed load and the mag cutoff. I think now they offer that in some other guns...but my Gold is already paid for and still works. I've sunk it twice hunting in the timber,take it apart clean it,let it dry.Still shoots. The days I dunked it I just let the water drain out and kept hunting.

#48 ·
I am a Remington guy myself. I like the 1187 Super Mag. I like the smaller feel in your hands vs guns like the Browning and Beretta. I also like the smaller price tag. I can justify beating the gun around in the duck boat vs a gun like the Bennelli.

#52 ·
I shoot the auto but never load the third shell, the reason being on the skeet range when I shot an O/U the max number was obviously two..the sequence is something I have always been used to..I also think its safer since I always know how many shells are in my gun at all times

#54 ·

My only experience with Borwning Maxus guns were this year when hunting in the Marsh. the guy to my right and left both had them. One was 2 years old the other 3-4 maybe. The guy on my left had an FTF and missed a chance at some birds and the guy on my right had something wrong with his bolt not going forward when he smashed the button or something like that.

Either way of course there are many happy Browning owners out there but I have to say sitting there throwing rounds down range @ ducks while they were messing around with malfunctions didn't exactly make me want to run to the store that day and pick one up.

Here's a post a guy shared with me from another forum. He has no reason to lie to me so I trust his comment on face value. Interesting for sure.

Now this was done only because we have a guide service and we shoot a bunch of geese and ducks every year..

I was a huge Benelli gun owner.. Had 6 of them... Loved them!!!! Went to a lodge in Canada for early early duck and goose hunting and when we got there they all laughed because we had Benelli.. There was not one person in our group without one... We were going to be there for a week of hunting and we asked the ole boys why would they laughed at our guns and they said because Benelli is such a hype and for the number of rounds we will shoot and number of kills we kill every year they don't last.. Benelli???? Really????

We were saying " NO WAY in ****"..
Hunting started on a Sunday and by weds we lost two guns.. By Saturday we lost another two.. Was the craziest thing I ever saw.. From jamming to, freezing up and shooting pins breaking it just amazed us.. Luckily the guides allowed us to use berettas. These guns looked like they were from the 18th century because they had been shot so much... It was crazy..

So we get back home.. I ended up selling all 6 of my benellis and bought three berettas.. We ended up buyin a farm in Vidalia and in the MS delta couple years later and my dad always chewed my as about selling the benel's.. I told him watch what happens.. First year of having both farms we killed about 1400 ducks in Vidalia and right around 1600 in the delta.. Over 1500 geese.. What happens old pops Benelli jammed up on the 4th day of hunting a really good cold timber day...

When I tell you I loved Benelli I loved them.. I had 20, 12, 2 O/U's, 2 auto's. and 1 pump, 1 auto assault..
Loved them.... Will never look over a beretta and will never have anything but beretta shotgun for the kinda hunting we do..

#55 ·
there are probably 4 autos that are no longer in production that to this day will still outshoot and outperform anything currently on the market, due to their design and the superior materials used..IMO those are

Browning Auto 5 (Belgium and early Japanese versions)

Beretta A 303

Remington 1100 (pre 87 models)

Winchester Super X 1

#60 ·
I don't know about the other two on your list, but I have a couple Belgium Brownings and 3 pre 87 Remington 1100's that are still shooting equally as well today as they were when bought new. The Brownings were handed down to me via my grandfather that he bought new for 56 bucks a piece off the rack and I still have the sales reciept in the stock of both of them. One of the 1100's I bought new and the other two were handed down to me via an uncle that were also bought new way back when. For some reason those guns just seem to "fit" me very well and still do to this day.

#58 ·
"TO EACH HIS OWN SAID THE OLD LADY AS SHE KISSED THE COW" My first serious gun was an 870 wingmaster I purchased in 1962. As a lifelong quail hunter that was "my gun" until I went to an Ithaca model 600 o/u in 1980. I've owned about 7 different autos over the years and have never seen one that did not have some sort of malfunction, (even though minor) at some time or other. I have never seen a difference in the amount of game taken at the end of the day although when I was younger and quicker it was fun to shoot a triple on a covey rise. Having said that I have also shot triples with the o/u by holding the third shell between my index and social finger on a covey rise. For ducks I have shot the Benelli off and on for the last few years and never had a major problem. However I also shoot the Beretta 686 onyx o/u and a finer shooting gun has yet to be. This year I purchased the Browning cynergy o/u in camo with the recoil reducing stock. I have to hand it to Browning, this is the best duck gun I have shot todate with respect to reliability, shooter comfort and feel. I do have to say there has never been an auto loader with the balance and feel of the good old double be it s/s or o/u. And hopefully Sheriff Biden will not bother these old guns.

#59 ·
I grew up on the Texas coast shooting a Winchester Model 12. Some time later I got a Smith & Wesson Model 1000 Waterfowler from DU (My only major win). The Model 12 is too valuable to hunt and I like the S&W for both upland and duck/goose. It has both a 2 3/4 and 3" mag barrel that really drops birds.

#62 ·
I have hunted with my Browning Gold Fusion for the last 6 years and have never had it fail me, even hunting in temps of -10 deg. F. It fits me really well and cycles my shells really well without having to clean it all of the time. I usually give it a good cleaning at the end of season and it is good to go the next season.

#66 ·
For years, my go to gun was my 870 Wingmaster. I can still shoot it better than any other gun in the safe. This year, I bought my son a Stoeger 3500. I've taken it hunting a couple of times (while he was away), and I'm going to tell anyone who buys this gun, it's a good gun.....once you replace the factory choke tubes that come with it.

I'm a pretty good shot, so I was getting baffled when I went on a duck hunt and was only knocking down 10% of the birds I shot at. I bought the Carlson choke set, replaced the choke, and it made all the difference in the world. Since then, I've liked it, and so has my boy. It's cheaper than the rest, so I'm not cringing when I hear him rake it across the boat.

#67 ·
Beretta A-400 is truly the softest reliable shooting weapon on the market today. You can adjust the cast and drop which I believe the only other gun that offers that feature is the Vinci. The recoil reduction is a great feature as the gun is light and when you touch off the 3.5 shells it absorbs the recoil very well. The others I have shot hit me like I am standing behind a bee stung mule! Make sure you get a 28-30" barrel as this adds a lot of balance to the gun. It now comes with a camo pattern and the recoil is absorbed in the grip section of the stock. Very smooth. The gun cycles very fast and reliable. Clean up is very easy and fast.
My next 1400-1500 is going that way.

#70 ·
Replace spring in butt. Had the same experience but replacing spring & sleeve with stainless steel solved it. Requires heat to get it out though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.