• Remington

27 9.85%
  • Weatherby

2 0.73%
  • Winchester

24 8.76%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Poll on *Hunting* Shotgun(Semi-Auto)*Advice

Check the trigger guard on the Benelli guns. They can tear your hand to pieces with recoil from the guard. Certainly like the mode; super m-2 I have but would not own a newer benelli with that guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungda99 View Post
    have you have never patterned your gun with this setup?? Generally Steel shot with tightly constricted chokes (full or extra full) equals a terrible pattern. steel usually likes to be constricted as little as possible.

3.5" shells are better as they have more pellets in the load so you get a more dense pattern. It doesn't really give you any extra range as the steel losses its velocity at the same rate weather youh ave a 1oz load or an 1.375oz load. The denser patter just means less criples when shooting within range
    I think the choke tubes I use are specifically made for the shells I shoot. Depending on the day, I will switch out the modified, full, or xtra full. I guess I fall for all that propaganda & don't know how to use 1 of those shotguns. Sigh. Maybe 1 day you folks can teach me?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    I don't know man, marsh hunting offers a whole lot more Pass Shooting than rice field hunting.

Late Season birds aren't fond of decoying either. I think those shells have their purpose.
    Now now. All ducks will finish right all the time. If they don't, then you can't call or shoot. I guess I'm just going to have to learn how to do this duck hunting thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    Now now. All ducks will finish right all the time. If they don't, then you can't call or shoot. I guess I'm just going to have to learn how to do this duck hunting thing.
    lol

Saturday we had a very good problem. 2-3 flocks of 2-3 different bird species circling in 2-3 different directions all at the same time!!! Didn't know which to call, which to set up for, which to shoot.......like I said, it was such a fantastic problem to have

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Check the trigger guard on the Benelli guns. They can tear your hand to pieces with recoil from the guard. Certainly like the mode; super m-2 I have but would not own a newer benelli with that guard.
    So its the guard and not the safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    This is true. That's how I got my SBE II. The guy that originally bought it, bruised his finger so bad that he said that he would never shoot it again. He went out immediately & bought a Beretta Xtrema & sold me his SBE II. I've never had a problem with the guard.
    HR Vader's Babe's "Reese"

Anyone have experience with the Winchester SX series, latest version being the SX3.

Same gas system (as far as I know) as the SX2. The SX3 has a little different balance and is a little lighter. The vent rib isn't as tall either. I have had a SX2 since 2002, and have been very pleased with it. I certainly don't shoot as many ducks as some but I've banged several cases of 3.5" steel at resident geese through it. Hunted some pretty snotty stuff with it, and have let it get pretty dirty

Overall, I take care of my guns and keep 'em clean. I don't need a several hundred $$$ boat paddle, and you'll never hear me brag about trying to tear up one of my guns. BUT, I haven't babied it either. I can tear it down in under a minute (minus the recoil spring), and have it cleaned and put back together in under five. I can't remember the last time it has failed to cycle. I had a little hiccup with light primer strikes which resulted in some failures to fire, but that was fixed by replacing the recoil spring, which had became weak, and prevented the bolt from slamming shut to full battery.

I like the feel of the SX3 very much. Based on my personal experience with my SX2, the SX3 would be at the top of my list if I was looking again.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    Same gas system (as far as I know) as the SX2. The SX3 has a little different balance and is a little lighter. The vent rib isn't as tall either. I have had a SX2 since 2002, and have been very pleased with it. I certainly don't shoot as many ducks as some but I've banged several cases of 3.5" steel at resident geese through it. Hunted some pretty snotty stuff with it, and have let it get pretty dirty

Overall, I take care of my guns and keep 'em clean. I don't need a several hundred $$$ boat paddle, and you'll never hear me brag about trying to tear up one of my guns. BUT, I haven't babied it either. I can tear it down in under a minute (minus the recoil spring), and have it cleaned and put back together in under five. I can't remember the last time it has failed to cycle. I had a little hiccup with light primer strikes which resulted in some failures to fire, but that was fixed by replacing the recoil spring, which had became weak, and prevented the bolt from slamming shut to full battery.

I like the feel of the SX3 very much. Based on my personal experience with my SX2, the SX3 would be at the top of my list if I was looking again.
    Exactly what MD said is the same for me. I am very happy with my SX2 and will pick up a SX3 this year. I have never had a jam in 5 years. The gun patterns good with a Carlsons steel mid-range. Barrel is back bored and chrome lined. Throw in that they cost less and the 3 comes with a set of stock shims.

Take a look at what the top sporting clays guys are using. When I was involved a few years back all you saw guys who had to buy their own guns carrying was Beretta. I own an Xtrema 2, and just purchased an A400 for my son. They just keep getting better.
    Pickin' Up, What You're Layin' Down !