Votes: 27 9.9%
  • Weatherby

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Winchester

Votes: 24 8.8%

Poll on *Hunting* Shotgun(Semi-Auto)*Advice

29K views 116 replies 65 participants last post by  Rich Martin 
#1 · (Edited)
Most folks who know me know that I'm no slouch when it comes to researching and decision making when it comes to making firearm purchases. I'm not a big fan of buyers remorse.

So like a lot of folks too I've grown up under the Remington(American Made) Label and have been faithful to it for the most part. I've got a Rem. 870 Express 20ga. that my Ol'Man got me when they first came out. It's been flawless through it's almost 20 years and 8k+ Shells later.
However it seems clear that besides the 870 & 1100 all other Rem. Shotguns(Recently) have and are suffering from severe LACK of Quality Control.

Being in the business of finding my FIRST 12 Ga. Semi-Auto Hunting Shotgun, naturally my first thoughts were towards Remington.
.....and onto the VersaMax. Yes I have read the ENTIRE 92 page(1836 posts) Epic VersaMax Topic on ShotgunWorld.com.

I've read many of the complaints and praises about the VersaMax and as hard as it is to admit I just can't get these few thoughts out of my head. Why would a company allow for their Flagship Shotgun to continue to be pushed out with obvious MAJOR flaws? Bent Barrels, Bent Mag Tubes, FTE's due to a sharp edge on the shell catcher etc. I know folks who are VERY happy with their VersaMax's and I know those who have been sent 3 different barrels, and have had their VM replaced 2-3 times and some who have just got a refund and moved on. These folks are still happy with Remington (Taking care) of them but that is NOT something I want to go through. I want to buy a new shotgun and be satisfied.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm just finding it very difficult to sink $1200-1500 in a Shotgun(Remington VMax) that may or may not work when I get it.

So I'm looking outwards.

As it stands it seems Berretta & Benelli currently own the field in Waterfowl Type Hunting Autoloaders. With Browning, Winchester, Remington and Mossberg in the field of play too.

For now I'm MOSTLY interested in hearing reviews and thoughts on Beretta’s(A400 Xtreme) and/or Benelli's(Vinci/Super Vinci) but by all means please don't hold back on any other gun manufactures who are producing these type shotguns.

BTW You can look on Shotgunworld.com right now and see topics on Benelli's with FTF issues and Beretta’s failing to function with 3 1/2's so I'm aware they aren't all FLAWLESS ;)

Fire away folks and Thank You

/

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a SBE original that I've used to hunt ducks, geese and pheasants. It has performed flawlessly hunting uplands, rivers, lakes, and saltwater. Only time it hasn't cycled is when I was using some real light loads when I first purchased it. It's easy to break down and clean and comes with shims to help you make it fit to you. I love my SBE.

#3 ·
Really don't get that much more with 3.5" so personally I would go to the M-2 Super 90, it's the SBE's little brother but started it all. I don't believe any of the American guns will get 10,000 rounds throught them without major mechanical issues today. Simmon's in Bastrop La has the best price on the S-90 at $1,300 in camo, may be a littel less in black.

#5 ·
This may seem like "duh" advice, but have you looked at and shouldered all the ones you are considering? I thought I wanted an SBE 12 years ago until I shouldered it and shot a couple. Ended up with a Winchester Super X2, which IMO looks, feels, balances and points completely different than an SBE.

I preferred the heavier forearm/barrel balance of the SX2 over the "whippier" balance of an SBE. You may very well prefer something different, but it should be easy to rule out a couple, as IMO they have very different "feels"

I love to research too, but I honestly think it's a wash when it comes to "which $1200 Auto is better" If you like the Versamax, and can buy one locally that you could inspect, I'd pull the trigger (pun intended) :)

#6 ·
This may seem like "duh" advice, but have you looked at and shouldered all the ones you are considering?
No I haven't b/c I can't find them in stock! I haven't seen a 400 Xtreme or Vinci in stock anywhere near where I live. I do however plan on calling a few larger stores and making some drive time to check them out before I 'Pull the trigger' ;)

But other models considered I've shot and handled plenty. My Local Gun store knows me well and my fingerprints are all over their guns lol

I'm just starting this Topic to get a feel for what folks like or don't like and MOST IMPORTANTLY "WHY" :)

#7 ·
lifelong Remington 1100 fanguy but their quality control does leave a bit to be desired....I will continue to shoot them because they FIT me..so does the Winchester SX2

but.....the softest shooting auto that I have ever used was a Beretta 391 Urika/Teknys (it was a sporting clays model)

#14 · (Edited)
lifelong Remington 1100 fanguy but their quality control does leave a bit to be desired....I will continue to shoot them because they FIT me..so does the Winchester SX2

but.....the softest shooting auto that I have ever used was a Beretta 391 Urika/Teknys (it was a sporting clays model)[/QUOTE]

I really like mine..
1 12 and a beautiful 20 guage.

never gives me any problems... very dependable. eats anything Ya want to feed em, including my powder puff reloads

witnessed a new Beretta a 400 in action this past monday.. beautiful gun.

Gooser

#10 ·
I own a Vinci and love it. My next gun will be the M2 in camo. Saltwater corrosion and safety in front of the trigger are the only complaints I have with mine. Call G&H Seed in Gueydan. They should have a selection in stock and decent prices.
Yea but that's one of THOSE Trips I'm talking about. I'm hunting on the weekends so that's out for now. I don't plan on buying until Goose closes so I've got time.

#11 ·
I grew up shooting my dads A5 browning sweat sixteen I bought an A5 12 but it only shot 2 3/4 in and it had a fixed choke so I bought a SBE II which I like I mainly shoot ducks and a lot of them are teal the SBE II is light and swings fast and I also have a 26" barrel on it but I'd like to try one of the new Browning A5's I like the hump back design.

#12 · (Edited)
I was in your position last summer. I was looking to retire my 870 and get an semi-auto. I had always wanted a Benelli and after lots of research I ended up going with a Franchi Affinity.

This was Franchi's new release at the time. It had been getting great reviews by those that know far more about shotguns than I do. It functioned flawlessy this previous waterfowl season.

The Affinitys are made in the same factory as the Benellis and cost significantly less.

I should also mention that these only shoot 2 3/4 and 3"but mine has cycled everything from target up to waterfowl loads without a failure.

#13 ·
I'm a bit of a shotgun nerd,I've patterned most major brands and here is what I've found. Overbore barrels almost always out pattern standard and especially underbore barrels,with faster steel shot.I'll probably catch crap for that statement from guys that say thier benelli SBE patterns good and it might,but most times with the same load an overbore will out pattern it. I'm found of Brownings but there is other companys that are making overbore barrels now and there is a reason they are offering them now. Find out which guns you're interested in that offer an overbore barrel and then find the one that fits you. Several manufactures offer shim kits with their guns to help get your gun pointing where your looking. Myself, I also cut my guns down for a shorter LOP.
I also load my own shells so I can better match the load to the gun but you probably dont,and thats another reason I recommend overbores.They just seem to pattern most factory loads better.
My opinion,for what its worth.

#15 ·
Love my SBE and 20 gauge Montefeltro. The Montefeltro will be the last gun they pry from my cold dead fingers.

#16 ·
I've been shooting the same Browning Gold 3.5" since 2002. It's my go-to waterfowl gun and has at least a few thousand rounds through it. This gun cycles just as good today as it did the day I brought it home. It points great, cycles smooth, recoil is minimal, and cleaning is pretty easy. All that being said, the next semi-auto that I buy will be a Benelli SBEII. I won't even bother checking any other guns out. For a waterfowl gun, the SBEII is extremely hard to beat. Reliable cycling, soft recoil, and breaks down to clean easier than any other gun that I've seen. The Vinci is sweet, too... but I just think it's an ugly gun.

I would not hesitate to pick up a Browning, as they are a tried-and-true semi-auto... But me personally, I'd be buying a Benelli.

#17 ·
I have owned an Xtrema2 since 2005 and absolutely love it. That being said, I have shot a friends a400 xtreme and thought it was far and away a better gun than my trusty Xtrema2. I use my gun primarily for waterfowl and it cycles the heavier loads but has trouble with light loads for dove, etc. Beretta made changes to the a400 xtreme and it'll handle everything you throw at it. I'm not in the market right now but wouldn't hesitate buying an Xtreme at all. If you're scared of in-store pricing you should check out Able Ammo's website, they'll ship to your local FFL and are typically cheaper than buying in stores. I bought my camo Xtrema2 from them for $1050 in 2005 and I know that they're about $150-$200 cheaper on the Xtreme than Cabelas or Bass Pro. Either way you should go and shoulder the guns before you pull the trigger as someone mentioned earlier.

#18 ·
I have shot american made Remington 11-87's for almost 20 years with no complaints. Though I have looked at others and would consider the Benelli having shot several of them.

#19 ·
Would use my sbe2 as an oar in a heartbeat if its above freezing. However it dose not always play nice with light loads, and the safety has frozen on more than one occasion. The benellie click can also happen if you knock it just right. The recoil can be a little harsh with 3.5 shells but isn't that part of the fun sometimes. The camo wrap has also held up very well. I definitely have no buyer's remorse with this gun. olny complaint i have had is it didn't come with a big window sticker not.

#20 ·
Lots of good guns out there. The best one, by far, and I say this without hesitation, is the one YOU can hit targets with. In other words, the one that fits YOU best.

1187's and 1100's don't fit me at all. In spite of me really wanting an SBE, it doesn't fit me. Beretta Xtrema II fit best when I was looking for my last gun, I could consistently hit targets with it, and so I bought it. By the way, it has worked flawlessly.

#21 ·
I've hunted with Rem 1100's and 11-87's a Benelli SBEII and now a Beretta A400 Extrema. This past duck season I've hunted with the Beretta exclusivley and have grown to like it a lot. I had to adjust the stock to fit me and once I did that I'm hitting most of what I shoot at. Before fitting it to me I couldnt hit a barn door from the inside of the barn. To be honest it was that way with the Benelli also. With all of that being said I do not see muich difference between the Benelli SBEII or Beretta A400 Extrema as far as recoil or overall function. Remington doesn't even come into play as far as I'm concerned. With both the Beretta or Benelli I can shoot any load and not have to worry above malfunctions. They both are easy to disassemble and clean, they take a beating and keep on rolling and they are a joy to shoot. I've shot 3.5" Turkey loads out of both of them and the recoil isn't anything to worry about. My 10yr old daughter shot my Benelli with a 3.5" #5 Turkey Hevishot load and laid out a nice Gobbler. She didnt even notice the recoil.

#22 ·
FWIW, I have shot a great deal more than the average hunter, as I not only hunt but shoot competitively also. If it will be used primarily for hunting, and ocasionally for targets, either a Benelli (inertia operated) or a one the gas guns such as A Beretta, franchi, SX2, will all suffice. Here are 3 points I use when coaching someone who is shopping for a gun.
1. Try to handle each brand considered before buying, preferably shooting it also! This gives you a feel of the difference between the different brands.
2. Personal opinion: a 3" field usually is noticeably lighter than any 3 1/2 " , the difference in performance is nill, shells are also cheaper too ! Plus a slight reduction in recoil is a plus! Particularly with a gas gun. If you feel you must have a 3 1/2' gun, you are better off with a 10 ga, the shells are the same price, and the 10 was designed to handle a payload of 2 to 2 1/2 oz, the 12 was never desined for that. Don't let anybody tell you they are the same in performance either, the 10 far surpasses the 12 3 1/2" by a noticeable margin.
3. Whatever you choose, take the time and money to go and have it fitted to you by a professional! This is the most important thing I could stress ! Very few guns will fit correctly, right out of the box. They may fit well enough for you to hit some targets and birds. But one that is fitted to you will put more birds on the ground and more X's on your score card.

Hope you find what you can hiot with! JB

#23 ·
For auto loaders I prefer Benelli. Specifically, a Montefeltro. I have no need for 3 1/2" shells and prefer a classic wood stock over composite. Both my wife and I have 20ga and I have a 12ga also. I prefer my Browning OU however for most hunting.

The quality allows them to hold value amd they fit us very well. Fit is key.

#25 ·
Nice Info JB and thanks folks.

Keep em' coming!

I'm not new to firearms or the purchase there of. However as I alluded to I know nothing about the Latest & Greatest Semi-Auto Hunting Shotguns.

I've just been pumping away with that Ol' 20 ga. 870 for quite some time with no thought until now of shooting anything different.

#26 ·
Correct me if i am wrong, but you have to compare the MOA (gas operated vs Inertia)? I have been searching for a Semi auto shotgun for awhile. Really thought SBE2 was my answer, but the Beretta A400 has started to cloud my judgement. Slightly heavier, but i was told recoils is best out of the 3.5 SA available. I am no gun expert, so curious about others opinions on this matter. Thanks, Matt

#32 ·
Good luck!

#28 ·
I bought my Remington 11-87 as soon as it came out. Never had any problems and it has had a lot of abuse. Cleaning once a year if it needs it or not and tons of West Texas and Western Oklahoma sand. Kinda like the Energizer Rabbit. If the A-5 were still the A-5, I'd buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.