The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Gun Rights Post I've seen

Default Best Gun Rights Post I've seen

I know that some may think that this should be a POTUS topic, but if you look at CNN.com today, they have about five or six articles on impending gun legislation. Those of us who participate in hunting, sport shooting of any kind, or even just feel safer having an effective means of self defense should be concerned. Here is a comment from someone responding to one of the CNN articles. It is one of the best posts I've read.

WesternManZombie Killer 5 hours ago

"On every question of construction (of the Constitution) let us carryourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
    (ThomasJefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823, The CompleteJefferson, p. 322)
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm thepeople is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    GeorgeMason
    Co-authorof the Second Amendment
    duringVirginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    "Thegreat object is that every man be armed" and "everyone whois able may have a gun."
    (PatrickHenry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of theConstitution. Debates and other Proceedings of the Convention ofVirginia,...taken in shorthand by David Robertson of Petersburg, at271, 275 2d ed. Richmond, 1805. Also 3 Elliot, Debates at 386)
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they beproperly armed."
    (Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8)
    "Americanshave the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens ofother countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people witharms."
    (JamesMadison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
    "Amilitia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves …"
    RichardHenry Leewritingin Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic, Letter XVIII,May, 1788.
    "The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full posession of them."
    ZachariahJohnsonElliot'sDebates, vol. 3 "The Debates in the Several State Conventions onthe Adoption of the Federal Constitution."
    "…the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keepand bear their private arms"
    PhiladelphiaFederal Gazette
    June18, 1789, Pg. 2, Col. 2
    Articleon the Bill of Rights
    "And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights ofConscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who arepeaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
    Samuel Adams
    quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789,"Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State"
    "Beforea standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are inalmost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannotenforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of thepeople are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands ofregular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the UnitedStates"
    (Noah Webster in `An Examination into the Leading Principles of theFederal Constitution', 1787, a pamphlet aimed at swaying Pennsylvania toward ratification, in Paul Ford, ed., Pamphlets on the Constitutionof the United States, at 56(New York, 1888))
    "Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every otherterrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of anAmerican... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (
    TenchCoxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them."
    (Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, andmember of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights, WalterBennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at21,22,124 (Univ. of Alabama Press,1975)..)
    "No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave. He, who has nothing, and who himself belongs to another, must be defended by him, whose property he is, and needs no arms. But he, who thinks he is his own master, and has what he can call his own, ought to have arms to defend himself, and what he possesses; else he lives precariously, and at discretion."
    (James Burgh, Political Disquisitions: Or, an Enquiry into Public Errors, Defects, and Abuses [London, 1774-1775])
    "To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege.
    "[Wilson v. State, 33 Ark. 557, at 560, 34 Am. Rep. 52, at 54 (1878)]
    "The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of."
    (AlbertGallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

Last edited by HPL; 01-09-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I like it and agree

Thank You Nicely stated.
    Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

Amen!!!!!!!!
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

I hope everyone on this board takes the time to read this and understand the true meaning and purpose of the 2nd amendment. The media and political parties present the false premise that the 2nd amendment was established to ensure hunters and firearm enthusiasts have access to guns to pursue their hobbies. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The 2nd amendment was given a high priority by the founding fathers and adopted into the constitution to ensure we the people have a means to push back against our own government should the government evolve into a tyrannical state.

The fact that the recent Supreme Court decision to uphold the individual's right to bear arms was decided by a slim 5-4 vote should scare the hell out of every freedom loving person in this country.

fp
    www.BayouMagicRetrievers.com
    FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH "Roux"
    Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu QAA "Bleu"
    Bayou Magic's Dave Robicheaux QAA "Burke"
    Bayou Magic's Cletus Purcell (Knucklehead Puppy)

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." -- George Herman Ruth

Thanks HPL,,,, Spot On!!!

Some of you may laugh,, dont care.... but I am presently enrolled, and taking a course on the Constitution of the United states!

Its free! Its a required course taught on a college campus.

The course is available on-Line through Hillsdale college...

I Highly recomend it,, even if youu THINK you know the constitution.....

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

What I want to know is why our political leaders had so much fore-site in the past and are some numb today

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Lacroix View Post
    What I want to know is why our political leaders had so much fore-site in the past and are some numb today
    Because no war has been waged on American soil (lower 48) since the Civil War .So the people are numb ,and thereby elect leaders that are numb. You can bet your sweet bippie those anti folks would suck up and try to be your BFF if the shit hits the fan.................
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

Love it! Glad I took the time to read it. Our forefathers had it right! They built this country off of their faith in God and you have seen what has happened to that. If they can manage to squeeze God out of our government then its only time before we see our guns go. What have happened to this to this country?

Psalm 18:30: As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

Byrdhouse Dillie Dallie JH 10/28/2010 -

Rob

A great read , thanks for posting.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.