The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

Default Chessie vs lab ?

All these chessie pics have me seriously considering a chessie, I was really considering one when I bought my current lab,BUT what does a chessie have to offer that a lab doesnt? Are they as trainable ? I dont seem to see many with the top titles,is that because there are not as many competing?

Chessie owners past or present...now is the chance to bring me to the brown side ! But I'd like to hear the pro's and con's compared to a lab to help educate me.

Or if you where a lab guy/gal ,but then went to chessie's what characteristics made you convert?

I'd like to hear the good and the bad of the breed.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Well, I have to say in all the bouts so far, the lab has hollered Uncle first. Chessie don't take no prisoners. When it comes to personalities and training, they are radically different but I can't say which is best. The labs will work for ANYONE. The chessie will occasionally work for NO-ONE. When he chooses to, the chessie can out mark and out handle the labs. But frequently takes the Bartleby approach, which is to say, "I'd prefer not to". The chessie makes me laugh and cry. The labs make me proud and make me cry. So if you want a full life, get one of each. When you are busy boasting on your lab, your Chessie will go out get all your birds.

I used to hunt labs until about 7 years ago when I got my first Chesapeake. I personally like a big strong dog I can hunt day in and day out in the worst conditions and they can't get enough.

Better get some popcorn for this thread.

Banned

I like both breeds but my personal heart dog is a chessie male. I've trained several and like them very much. Training them is like training a Arabian or Thoroughbred horse. Don't shove anything down their throat and let them think it's all their idea. Also less is more. You can't punch them through like you can a lab. Teach the lesson and then let them think about.

Good Luck,,, You can't go wrong with either.

Angie

Shawn, what is your goal?

You either love, laugh at, and respect the Chessie personality or it drives you crazy. They certainly don't lack personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernstorm View Post
    Better get some popcorn for this thread.
    Any minute now.

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    I used to hunt labs until about 7 years ago when I got my first Chesapeake. I personally like a big strong dog I can hunt day in and day out in the worst conditions and they can't get enough.
    Nuff said!!

I'll take a large coke as well

If you want privacy, it's not a Chessie your lookin for. You can't even go to the can without them laying on your feet! If you want the most loyal companion you could ever imagine a Chessie is your guy or gal!

2tall, I love your summary!!!

Tim