The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. View Post
    Shawn, what is your goal?

You either love, laugh at, and respect the Chessie personality or it drives you crazy. They certainly don't lack personality.
    Ideally I want a dog like J Town mentioned,but want to be able to compete (not just spend money) in the upper level FT stakes,dont get me wrong I love my lab's ,but as Angie said ,I have a soft spot in me for a big broad chested dog that show's no fear.

One thing I'm noticing that I dont like with some of the well bread lab's that have amazing talent is that the seems to have little things like,runny stools from being to hyper, and just little nagging ailments ,and I dont seem to hear of these issues with Chessie's (but I do understand that there is a lot more lab's so the injury numbers will statistically higher.)

I dont like a high maintenance dog,for me to give a dog a bath would be throwing a bumper in the lake.

I really noticed this year after a case of cold tail that my dog was having a hard time dealing with the elements on the tough days -breaking ice,being on the dog stand for extended periods of time in flooded water etc and I felt sorry for her ,but she has a job to do.

To sum it up I kinda feel like the Chessie's are heavy duty and the lab's are more light duty,But the chessie's are not as versatile.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I've had one lab and currently have my first Chessie. The lab was my hunting buddy, no competition, and I never even heard the words "hunt test" until last May, so that tells you how much experience I have. But it seems to me that my Chessie is much harder to read than my lab was. For example, instead of turning his head in the direction he wants to go or leaning that way, he may only shift his eyes in that direction. Kind of sneeky in a way! My lab would almost always "advertise" what direction he wanted to go and I could adjust if it wasn't the way I wanted him to go. Not so with the Chessie, I have to be much more perceptive. But I wouldn't trade him for nothing. Others thoughts on this???

Tim

Shawn, my Chessie just got over a case of cold tail a couple of weeks ago. Totally, my fault, but Chessies can get it!

Tim

From what I have seen, they are a one owner dog and fairly independent. Gene pool is shallow as a thimble too!
    I wouldn't hook my wagon to any of them if Ft's were my passion, they can do the work but you might be in a wheel chair before it happens.

Toast anyone?
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Tim ,I used cold tail as kind of a reference ,as I figured they can all get it, but they seem to be a heartier breed ,but not invincible.

Raymond ,I am still a newbie in the art of training past throwing shotgun shell's in the direction I wanted a dog to go. I think you are on the path that has kept me from a chessie as far as trying to accomplish my goals in the FT games,which seem tough enough with a lab. My reasoning tell's me that if chessies' where better at the games then thats what most would own and champagne.

Maybe I'll just get a rottweiler for a truck dog,
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Peakes are most definetley different to train than labs, but it seems to me that when you teach a peake something it remembers and it sticks with em, and that also goes for when you make a mistake with em ,THEY REMEMBER!!!!! Make a mistake in training with a lab, usually they forgive and forget by the next day, not always, but much better than a Chessie.
    I got my first peake about 3 years ago, and it has been one heck of a ride!!! I got him mainly for hunting and hunt tests, I got sick of our labs refusing to go in cold water during duck season. He has yet to give me a no go in cold water. I really wish JTowne would post some pics of Thor breaking ice to make retrieves on the bay.

Chesapeakes are everything everyone has said: loyal, independent, strong, stubborn, moody,selective, talented.......

Are they different than labs? Yes. CBRs are not for everybody. IMHO you need to enjoy the process and be willing to invest yourself in the dog. A CBR works for him/herself and then decides if you are worthy their efforts. If you put in the work they will reward you.
    CBRs do not take well to being "programed" that is why very few pro's have CBRs on their trucks. Therefore very few CBRs at FTs.

If want more than just another black dog give them a try!

Check out John and Amy Dahl's artilcle on the 3 breeds@ oakhillkennel.com

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Carrion; 01-09-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

OK, maybe I'll be the one to get the popcorn passed around, because I don't have a pile of stats at hand. But it would appear, that for THE NUMBER OF CHESSIES that actually run field trials and are trained by competent people, that the percentage of them that reach higher titles is better than that of labs. Just a numbers thing I know, and the pros only take on the exceptional ones. Chessies are different, make no mistake about it, but what is the saying? "Viva la differance"! My joy is in the training, not the attaining. And by the way, my resistance to getting a Chessie in the first place is that I too believed they were "one man dogs". Scout has taught me that he can love and piss off both of us equally

And oh yeah Northernstorm, the biggest problem I have with my Chessie compared to the labs, SOMETIMES HE WILL NOT COME OUT OF THE WATER! He only does this in a trial or test
    Last edited by 2tall; 01-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

For those of you that have them,are they as aggressive to other dogs as they are rumored to be?

Hi Shawn
    If you are really serious about getting a chessie,you should do your research.Find some owners in your area,go out and train or hunt with them,ask alot of questions,spend some time with them if possible.
    Chessies are not for everyone,they are usually one person dogs,and some have a strong protective nature,that can cause problems if not kept in check.
    I have never trained a lab,so I have nothing to compare them to,but from what I see when I train with labs,and the stories I have heard,Im thinking labs are a little bit easier.
    I love the breed,and love their personality.If you have a good sense of humor,take your time training,and want a dog that will break ice for you,then this might be the breed for you.
    Brian Stewart