The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie vs lab ?

2Tall, I to enjoy the training, but my competitive nature like's the rewards for my efforts.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Sometimes, but peakes today are not nearly as aggressive as the peakes were 30 years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    For those of you that have them,are they as aggressive to other dogs as they are rumored to be?

For those of you that have them,are they as aggressive to other dogs as they are rumored to be?
    IMO, that's a myth perpetuated by the uninformed public and folks who know nothing about training dogs.
    Just Win

"A good dog is a good dog. He doesn't know what breed or color he is, and he doesn't know what it says on his papers. He's just a good dog. I prefer good dogs." ~ D.L. Walters

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

As a general rule NO.
    CBRs are protective of what they consider theirs. Their aloof attitude makes looking for fight too much trouble. They generally can not be bothered.
    Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

I've never seen mine be aggressive towards another dog and I'm not just saying that. I have seen Chessies that were but the incidence of aggression doesn't seem to be any greater than any of the other retriever breeds.
    Last edited by Scott R.; 01-09-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Teaching a chessie tolerance is important. I agree with Tim C. that they prefer to stay above the fray. But if some dog, my own lab especially, starts acting like a fool, the Chessie is going to straighten it out on his own terms. Once I figured this out and corrected the lab for being a pita, no more trouble. And Scout is just fine with the free roaming mutts around here. He gives them that look, then goes about his business. So far none of them have questioned it. He loves pups, and is very patient with my two year old.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Some things folks have not mentioned are the late season and extremely cold hunting invites. Also not really supposed to wash them much and they stay pretty clean in general. I think a lot of ft and ht people shy away from them is because of the different training and typically requiring more time to get there. Most people do not realize how soft chessies really are! The aggressiveness shows up every now and then but lately I have seen a heck of a lot of really sweet and loving ones. If it shows up, you need to recognize and deal with it properly just like any other breed. When people in general ask me to explain the difference between a chessie and a lab I typically tell them the chessies seem to be one step closer to wild animal then the lab which usually avoids a big debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    IMO, that's a myth perpetuated by the uninformed public and folks who know nothing about training dogs.
    I think a lot of the time a protective dog is seem by many uneducated as aggressive ,no matter what the breed. My 52# lab is a ball of jello with my kids ,but if someone walks up to the car with the kids in it she sounds as if she is a 150# Rott. (I like that myself)

I have also heard the roomer about the CBR having aggression issue's, but believe the breed has probably greatly improved on that since the earned that label.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    They can be be but it's probably not fair to make it a general statement that they are. Case in point, my brother in law has a male ankle biter that is constantly agressive towards our male Chessie regardless of whose turf we're on. In fact, over the holidays he put the run on our 90 lb. guy and he ending up jumping up on my lap on the couch. Everyone was laughing at the BIG Chessie sissy dog. Indeed it even pissed my off that he didn't at least defend himself against the little bastard! Finally after a couple of hours he did get the sh*ts of it but he didn't hurt the little pest he just pinned him down and let him know enough was enough. I was the one laughing then

I have not seen him agressive towards any dog yet unless provoked first. He is not aggressive at all towards people either. You could take a raw steak from him and he would'nt even growl at you. You may not believe this but in deer season he stole a raw deer heart from the skinning table and I was about 30 yards away at the time. I called him to me and told him drop and he dropped the heart in my hand. If you'd have tried that with my lab he would have taken your hand off! I guess it's all in the breeding. I would suggest anyone considering a Chessie to research the begeebers out of the breeder and the line.

Tim